Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11,12 - ebnalfady
11. A farming couple in Northern Michigan consult their physician about severe skin rashes and ulcers noted over the past year. They also have lost many cattle over the past year, and claim that their cattle feed changed in consistency and smell about 1 year ago. Chemical analysis of the feed shows high concentrations of polychlorinated biphenyls, a fertilizer related to known carcinogens. The physician sends the chemical to a laboratory for carcinogen testing, which is performed initially and rapidly by
a. Inoculation of the chemical into nude mice
b. Incubation of mutant bacteria with the chemical to measure the rate of reverse or œback mutations
c. Incubation with stimulated white blood cells to measure the impact on DNA replication
d. Computer modeling based on the structures of related carcinogens
e. Incubation with mammalian cell cultures to measure the rates of malignant transformation

12. A child presents with severe growth failure, accelerated aging that causes adult complications such as diabetes and coronary artery disease, and microcephaly (small head) due to increased nerve cell death. In vitro assay of labeled thymidine incorporation reveals decreased levels of DNA synthesis compared to controls, but normal-sized labeled DNA fragments. The addition of protein extract from normal cells, gently heated to inacti¬vate DNA polymerase, restores DNA synthesis in the child™s cell extracts to normal. Which of the enzymes used in DNA replication is likely to be defective in this child?
a. DNA-directed DNA polymerase
b. Unwinding proteins
c. DNA polymerase I
d. DNA-directed RNA polymerase
e. DNA ligase
11-d
12-c
12-e
b
b
11.d
12. b
do_it
PLEASE I'M ALREADY POST THE ANSWER
DON'T CONFUSE UR SELF
ebnalfady, can you give explanation?

11: you say b is correct, but it's very confused....acturally e could be a clear correct answer, but may not be the best way to do the experiment....b's method might be quick, but not precise.

12: I like to hear the explanation, if possible.

11. B
12. B

11.Forgotten the name of the procedure, Ames testor something
12. Px lacks DNA ligase
11. eee
can hardly believe bbb is the answer because the prokaryotic cells are not a good model system to study mammalian tumors.
12. bbb
topoisomerase mutation slows down the replication but keeps the daughter DNA length
I meant helicase
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »