to okt3.. - harsh
causes of renal papillary necrosis..
diabets
sicke cell
chronic alcoholism
vascular dz
nasaids
urinary tract obstruction sometimes
thanks harsh, I was away from my desk, what part of kidney is more susceptible to necrosis and why?
dnt knw...
Okt3

could you please focus on PTH action on osteoclast osteoblast ? thanks
no no i knw...goljan said somthing regarding this..
thick ascending limb most sensitive to ischaemia...reason?????
pth has receptors on osteoblast....it binds to osteoblasts-->whch secretes iterleukins which acts on osteoclasts....
The medullary portion of the kidney is susceptible to ischemic insult because of the low oxygen tension.

GOLJAN
harsh so pth helps in both mineralization as well as resorption of bone?
sorry for interfaring in between harsh and okt3. just to share with you .

pathophysiology from e-medicine.

Renal papillary necrosis refers to ischemic necrobiosis of the papilla in the medulla of the kidneys. A number of conditions can cause renal papillary necrosis but it may be associated with the use of analgesic agents. Renal papillary necrosis can be localized or diffuse and unilateral or bilateral. Earlier in the disease, renal size and function are preserved. Function may deteriorate with eventual renal failure in the later stages of the disease

In the early stage, medullary ischemia results in necrobiosis of the Henle loop and the vasa recta in the papillary tip. In the intermediate stage, patchy necrosis occurs in the papillae and, in the advanced stage, necrosis occurs in all elements of the papillae with clear demarcation between necrotic and viable papillary tissue. In the most advanced stage, diffuse fibrosis and chronic inflammatory cell infiltration into the interstitium occur, which account for the deterioration in renal function
pth helps in resorption on both mainly....actually the process of resorption n mineralizn depends on calcium*po4 product...if product greater than solubity then mineralizn n if less than resorptio
when serum calcium is low..i.e calcium n phosphate product is low....then pth activated

does 2 things..
1) increased calcium reabsorption frm kidney...to be precise frm diatal tubule...
2)decreases phosphate reabsorption frm proximal tubule...

so finally the calcium phosphate product is less than solubility product..whch causes calcium to be relaesd frm the bone
hope u got it
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »