Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Match experience..hope it will help you. - uttam
Hello future aspirants,

I am img/2002 grad/from India/worked in uk for 3 yrs/scores above 90 in both steps/step3 passed in Dec.
applied only to Internal Medicine on sep 20th to 150 programs to both J1 and H1. got 14 Interviews and nil from newyork ( i think as i applied late). 2 Interviews from contacts and 12 Interviews from my application. matched into 3 rd place in my rank list (reasonably good program with H1)of 13 programs as one program did not go for match.

I have one mnth observership in us but i did not take any LOR
as I had good letters from UK.

my advise to future aspirants:

Apply early in the first 2 weeks of sep(preferably 1 st week)..as I applied to 45 NY programs on sep 20th...by that time most of the applications downloaded and my application was not downloaded by few programs.

Scores above 85 if you are IMG and need visa and Good Personal statement and take interest in filling application. USCE atleast one mnth will help and if you have US lOR it will definitely help.

In Interviews you have to sell yourself and prepare well for the Interviews ( we 4 people discussed, friends through this forum all the questions and possible answers, we all 4 matched) and if you have friends who are doing residency better prepare answers with them.

we should be very active on the Interview day. I downloaded all programs information with pictures of faculty and PD on the Internet and at the time of Interview you shld show them the pictures intelligently by asking some information which is not there as it shows your Interst in that program and they thnk that you know evrythng about program.

I know many people with good scores of both 99s and many Interviews did not match this year and scores in mid 80s with few Intervies matched (shows that scores are not only the criteria and good application and average scores and good Interview prepation has advantage and your attitude and your dressing on the Interview day) and step3 definitely helps in my opinion.

Luckily I matched into 3 rd place in IM but before the time of Match process I felt that I shld have been applied to other programs as well...like paediatrics, Medpeds and FM and Primary care as well....atleast few more Interviews....we will not be left with out a position...so apply to different specialities if you are not very perticular about speciality.

Try for contacts if you have 3 to 4 mnths before the application and start contacting programs PC and PD ..3 to 6 mnths earlier if you have time...i feel it definitely helps in getting atleast 2 to 3 Interviews...as I felt like that( I did the same)...even though I applied late on sep 20th they considered my application as I am in regular contact with them through mail for atleast 4 to 6 mnths earlier than submitting my application...so atleast few of them remeber my name during Interview as well and you can tell them in the Interview as I am in regular contact you your ....so and so.....i know about your program very well......some thng like that....you shld make it up.

I f you have time make friends through this forum and keep regular contact and discuss on the phone about questions and answers...believe it definitely helps........you can help each other...you can learn from other person and you can tell other person....as you people go to different Interviews and even if same hospital and and different Interview days....so dnt wrry abt matching of answers..haha.....it happend to me once in a Interview........out of the four we prepared the same answers........we had same hospital on the same day......we answered little different..but the coincidence is very rare........so better discuss freely all the Interview stuff.

good luck to all of you......atleast it helps few people.

thank you all.
Good thread for newbies.Smile Good luck with your residency. i will be starting soon too
Thanks for writting, i,m img with psy resiedncy(india) do you think it is good idea to apply in multiple specialities ?

hi uttam,
great to know your inspiring story. can you please drop ur e mail here, i want to ask few things..... thank you.
What I don't understand is this paragraph:

we should be very active on the Interview day. I downloaded all programs information with pictures of faculty and PD on the Internet and at the time of Interview you shld show them the pictures intelligently by asking some information which is not there as it shows your Interst in that program and they thnk that you know evrythng about program.

So you mean you printed pictures of the faculty and staff and at the interview you asked them questions about their photos? Isn't that a little stalkerish?
hi uttam, thanks very much for this input ,and please clarify what (the _heed ) said.
and what do you think the chances if i goin to apply without finishing all steps
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »