Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME form 3 section 3 question8...please answer - imgkeerti
8. A previously healthy 47-year-old man is brought to the emergency department after collapsing at work. His coworkers report that he had the sudden onset of a severe generalized headache before he lost consciousness. On arrival, he is lethargic and in severe distress. A lumbar puncture is performed. Cerebrospinal fluid analysis shows xanthochromia and an erythrocyte count of 40,0001mm3 in tubes 1 and 4. His wife and three children are at the hospital, and his parents are en route. The patient dies, and the physician informs the wife of her husband's death. When asked to provide consent for an autopsy, his wife replies, "No. He hated being in the hospital, and I don't want him to be cut up." Which of the following is the most appropriate next step?

O A) Ask the parents to consent to the autopsy when they arrive
O B) Ask the wife again and explain the potential benefits of an autopsy
O C) Notify the medical examiner to mandate an autopsy
O D) Perform genetic testing on a postmortem blood sample
O D) Perform genetic testing on a postmortem blood sample?
bump
bbbbbbbbbb
y u want to do genetic testing,when his wife knows what he wanted.feed back
thanks.....
B
quick question: does the wife overule other family members w.r.t. consent for autopsy in the absence of last wishes of the patient?
guys ...
this poor person was mostly beaten on the head by some one the wife knows about ( I look like a paranid Pt. for some now, hahaha) anyway , his wife is refusing the autopsy!!!,
I go with B first , if she refused Do C.
so it's BBB
to answer artremis22,
yes she can, if she's the closest person to him( still living together), and she states that her husband used to tell her bla bla bla
xanthochromia and an erythrocyte is mostly due to a previous traumatic event
no i think its SAH
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »