Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME form 3 section 1 q 42...please answer - imgkeerti
42. Twelve days after sustaining a cerebral infarction, a 72-year-old man has fever and cough. Initial symptoms included inability to move his right arm and leg, swallow, speak, or respond to questions. He has been receiving a diet of pureed foods since he recovered his ability to swallow 3 days ago. He is wearing false teeth. His temperature now is 38.8°C (101.8°F), blood pressure is 135/85 mm Hg, pulse is 94/min, and respirations are 28/min. Examination shows moderate weakness of the facial muscles and right extremities. Gag reflex is absent. Breath sounds are decreased, and there is dullness to percussion over the right lung base posteriorly. An x-ray film of the chest shows an infiltrate in the posterior basal segment of the right lung. Which of the following is most likely to prevent recurrence of this patient's lung condition?
O A) Removal of false teeth
O B) Suppression of gastric acid production
O C) Chronic antibiotic prophylaxis
O D) Administration of metoclopramide to increase gastrointestinal motility
O E) Insertion of a feeding jejunostomy tube
O E) Insertion of a feeding jejunostomy tube?
i think this is the only answer!
to prevent aspiration
EE
I agree. E is the only way to prevent aspiration pneumonia!
jujenostomy ube doesnt prvent aspirartion
D Metoclopramide
i think removal of false teeth
jejuostomy tube cannot prevent risk of aspiration pneumonia
This patient is having aspiration in STANDING position

So, the answer is D

Wht do you say??

IMGkeerti, please pass on NBME qs
I think this guy havin an abcent gag reflex ddt abulbar palsy but his sphenctric power is still intact ,mean the cardiac sphincter f the stomach is still working as it is an autonomic system regulated,,so as long this guy nt sufferin 4rm GERD ,, a jejunestomy tube is the best choice to prevent more lung injury ,,, btw chromomy ,yeah this guy has a standing type f aspiration , but metoclopramide wouldnt do any thing for the food passes wrong way to his air way as the protective reflexes r nt intact ,,,hope this works guys ,,,
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »