Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the truth of residency in the US - theprayer
Hello I am a PL-2 in pediatrics in ACGME program and i would like to share my experience of residency in the US with you and somewhat alert you about the reality of it.
Hi, dear physicians, this message is to prepare you...I am not pretending to scare people, but UNFORTUNATELY residency in the US is not that different from other places....what to expcet during residency ?
1. you will be overworked, long hours....those rules of ACGME are not real, most places follow them in paper but not in reality...specially if you are an intern.
2. you will be dissapointed especially if you did an extra effort to come to the US that means, leaving family, etc....you will find out that the environment is very stressful, and the residents basically are exploited.
3. It works a lot like other countries, regarding what your background is and who you know in the system.
4. You will be so tired that the academic part that you think you will get, won't stick to you as you wish it should, you won't have time and or will to read.
5. As any other place the standard of medical practice is very variable among attendings and or senior residents...you will be surprised of how big the clinical/academical gap in between physicians is.

what to do?
1. is only 3 years, try to learn by yourself, make extra effort in connect with your patients and have no expectations , besides finishing and learning as you go by.
the best advice somebody can give you about residency is to be prepare for overwork and frustration, and the need to develop a routine and a habit of learning by yourself of your patients.....
Thanks for the reality check. Appreciated.
Thanks frnd.

The thing is, US system is same as all others in world. Only thing for which i came here is Std life and MONEY. Nothing else, deep inside somewhere i kno my country is the best.

Good Luck
totally agree.as a matter of fact its the same anywhere.

imagination std of life and money should not be the criteria,coz you may have all comforts,but you are so worked up that you hardly enjoy any of it.true happiness lies in simple pleasures.
aggreed imagination. atleast we get some consolation for our hardships. agree with u to eklasia but unfortunatley money talks otherwise why so many people suffer so much to come to USA
My MOTTO is Medicine for Life so no matter how hard th ebattle might be i will fight n fight until last breath.......
3 cheers for drangel. admire the courage and hope all of us succeed.
LoLXxxx.........................YeAh...........!!!!!!!!!!!!11
yepp, theprayer. I know what you mean. my program said it's only 70hr but only on paper. in reality,we must work near 90 hrs. but is still better than some docs in nevada. they were being abused and their contract changed to lower wages after the first year.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »