Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FP ( Family Practice ) Interview Experience!!!!!(S -
DHRUV share urs too!!!! - shah_dron

Hi Guys
I am back from NY. Had two interviews in a row...Stony Brook FP and UMDNJ/ST MARY Hoboken FP program.
Here I am sharing my experience from both programs. I don't feel it will affect my chances of getting residency there or others will take advantage from my experience!!!! yuppess ( we are Young Professionals), This is how we grow!!! Show if you guys think same way share ur experiences too!! Anyway

My interview at STONYBROOK on 9th november tuesday began at 9 am . Very well organized and schedule and details will be given in a folder including sample contract. I went through four different interviews over 1 hr period. One with PD ( very impressive background of PD Dr Kopes-Kerr, He recieved best teacher award withing 3 months of joining PD position in 2001, don't forget to look for his background on stony brook site. The program is on temporary probation but its going to be setteled in february PD told me. He is doing plenty of research there on Poly Pill ( six ingredients in one pill for all >55 yr age population) He also publish FP Newsletter every 15 days thats amazing for teaching perspactive.
The only tertiary care hospital in local county nice quite location clinics are in different building 1.5 miles away cost of living middle to high residents have pizza and movie party once/month and most of them are mixed FMG and AMG. They will provide nice lunch and free parking, nice tour with first year resident and 2nd yr.
2nd interview with Dr daneels attending graduate from same hospital. She was very very cool and nice mostly asks about urself and FP perspective future plannings, friendly environment and will tell you mostly everything about outside and inside one on one relation of residents and attendings. Lot of academic activities going on every wednesday ground rounds separate for FP daily morning report tueday 2 hr report, 4/week noon conference.
Special ethical course and review for case management by Dr feldman who will also take 3rd interview. you can get MPH with MD if interested. He moslty interviewd about why FP and you have to justify everything you say so be careful about what u say and why!!!
4th interview was with 3rd yr resident there u can ask all the holes of system and true picture from risidents point of view( they don't have too many drawbacks to discuss!!! ha ha!!)but you can ask about life outside residency and stress of residency and resident groups they have etc!!!

Overall PD will give his personal card to everyone and they will be very nice but if you are interested they will invite you for second look even if not you should arrange for second look in january I think they will rank those candidates higher who will go for 2nd look.
GL to all

Hey guys
I am going to repeat the request again for all of us to share our experience in a way that can help others. I believe in sharing ideas and helping each other that is how we succeed!!! Isn't it? Anyway if you guys can share ur views of program and quick real tips about how to do better for a perticular programs that will be help ful to all I have my next interview at our lady of mercy if some one has anything to share I will be thank ful
GL To us

Hey guys

let me share UMDNJ/ ST mary experience in same forum but before that let us watch how many of are willing to board in same boat of sharing our ideas!!!

Even if no one shows up I will share my experience tonight after writing details about my interview!!
See ya guys
kvs

I appreciate ur job.
now i want to share my interview experience. This is at morristown program ,NJ. The day started with morning report by one of the pgy-2. later the pd had given a breif instruction about the program followed by 2 interviews by the faculty.In one of my interview with p.d.,she gave me a case report and asked how i will proceed in lines of relevant history questions ,what investigations i would like to order and what are the d.ds that i could think of for that case.
The 2nd interview with the other faculty is like the personal questions like why did u come to u.s., why did u choose this speciality e.t.c.
these interviews are followed by Hosp.tour with the resident and lunch with the residents.

good luck.
easy

Thanks so much DHRUV, but not so many people have the same luck like you.

Most of us are still waiting for CS results and scheduled the interview in January, so even if we want, we just have no experience to share yet.

Again, it's a great idea to share. I really appreciate it.

to kvs
Thanks a lot I have my interview there on 30th november. How do you feel about teaching and academics about the program and how is the sorrounding to settle down? Thanks again
Keep it up
Where is ur next interview?

Hey easy
Take it easy!!! ha ha just kidding nice name anyway For me its same I am waiting for my step 2 cs Who knows if I fail !!! but I am hopefull for life. Even in january don't forget to share ur experience It may work for some one else
GL to all
kvs

To dhruv
The impression i got about the program after my interview is-positive points-
1. teaching is good.
2.decent location
3.comaraderie-good
4.no scut work.
negative points-
1.the only negative point is that the program lacks fellowships.but it was said that they are trying to get fellowships and they might be sanctioned in a year or two.

good program to consider unless looking for university program.
zzzz

thank you guys for sharing your interview experience, good luck.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »