Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it frowned upon if you get pregnant during resi -
DRRS

I've heard that progrm directors don't like it if you start a family during residency because you have to miss months of work. Is that true? Is it better to have a kid before you start residency or after you are completely done with residency, but never during?
Read this, it might answer some of your Q

http://www.facs.org/medicalstudents/lifestyle2.html
DRRS

Thanks, that was helpful.
hopeful

You need to appear to be completely available and not on the mommy track. They can't ask you if you are going to get pregnant but just because you get a residency doesn't mean they have no say on wether or not you keep it! If you want to do that, I would suggest you have ample help so you don't have to deal with missing days because of being tired or the kid is sick. If anything, I would do it at the end of residency. Good luck and make sure you have good birth control.
----

I have seen many pregnant residents in large medical ctrs. some in their 20s some 30s.
They work until 8 1/2 mos, take 6 wks off, then come back. Most programs allow this. The father should also help out afterwards or these hosps also have daycare on site or closeby. Nobody can discriminate you because of pregnancy, its nature. Only if u were surg resident then u may not be able to stand long hrs. Do what u have to do, esp if u r close to age 35, don't take chances w/ genetic probs. GL
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »