Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
aQuestion for medhelp, if disponible? - ohmygod
i am looking to apply for IM and FP

what is preliminary - categorial?
should i go for this or not?? becz choosing prelim we have to go thru match again the next year...

i want a H1b visa (J1 if nothing else)

Thank you for your help
medhelp, HELP
Regarding the prelim: most people if they choose for prelim this year they also apply for PGY position for next year in this years Match. Thats how its done as you have to secure a position, now. Programs ask you if you have secured a position and decide accordingly. There was an applicant who secured a position in surgery but didnt get a prelim position and they had to drop him. Programs like surgery, derm, neurology require prelim year .

Another option you can keep in mind is Transitional year - get to rotate in different departments counts like a USCE of 1yr. An option mostly used by AMG who arent sure in what they want. But can serve as a back up plan as you get to work in a hospital , get Lors and match for residency next year. The thing I dont know is if you get paid or not?
just in addition to what mysam rightly said

prelim in IM is sligtly more competitive as people applying for competitive specialties like Radiology etc go for prelim year and mostly these are US grads so competition is slightly More for prelim IM ... if you are planning for neuro YOU MUST go for prelim at the same time as you have to secure a spot for 09 prelim IM and spot for 2010 neuro in this years match.

its bit complex

simple advice try to focus more on categorical if IM is your aim and hopefully you will make it

GL

medhelp team
Medhelp

1)well, i want to apply for the rheumatology in IM in case i get a position

so i shouldnt go for the prelim inIm but only categorial

2) what about FM ; because many programs gives the possibil for prelim and categorial

plz,
rheumatology is fellowship which you can get after residency in IM

categorical would be a wise option

GL

Medhelp team
so what should i put in the porgram Categorial and when i am asked to chose a speciality i have to put Rheuma
is that right?

i shouldn t not at all choose prelim

its confusing me and sorry to be so redundant..repetitive
obviously you would choose Internal medicine here

We are not saying that you should not choose prelim at all .. you can choose that but you will have more chances and better prospects in categorical

GL

medhelp team
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »