Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time for a pathology threads - lcase
AP only may limit your job choices. I would say unless you are sure you want to do academic, choose AP/CP. However, AP only is better than CP only in term of job oppurtunity. If you do 1-2 fellowship after AP, there is still good chances to find decent jobs.
hi everyone

does anyone know whether to write observership as work or volunteer experience. i have read mixed thoughts about it on this forum. plz let me know wht u guys are doing

thanks
Observership is volunteer experience, cuz it is not paid.
Icase ,
hello
Is it true that programme directors when they look at the applications ,they just drop whoever is not certified?This is what i have read through the threads over here ,thats why i thought of asking you?If I am not certified yet does this minimize my chances to almost zero?
please advice
To lcase,
I used essayedge to edit my essay. I thought it was good. Its expensive, but i think its worth it.
to purpledream,
I think having ecfmg cerified, certainly improves ur chances. Last year i was only certified in dec, i think that limited my iv offers, especially in IM more than Path. About the grad cutoff year, i think in path it doesnt matter that much as most path FMG residents are PhD or Masters people, who have been out of med school for some time.
bantibanda,
thank you for replying.
I will appreciate your guidance as well in this..I have heard that pathology residency is very limited and not much positions available..so is it something wise to apply as well to IM?I mean how will programme directors look at applicants who apply to IM and have no previous experience once or ever in IM?I am an old graduate and all my life was a pathologist..so is it wise to do so?I actually try to put myself in their shoes and think what shud they see in me so unique in order to choose me ?I need your advice...because I dont want to waste my money for nothing...
another thing as well, if you had previous experience with the matching process last year, can you tell me if I take my exam sep,and my result will be released on october 8 does this mean am too late?
thank you
To purpledream,
For Path i dont think it matters that much. Path programs usually start reviewing their applications in Late Sept/Oct. But if you are applying to IM or FM it would matter i think.
Last year i also had the same dilemma as you do as i was thinking whether to apply to IM or not. I am also now 7 years from graduation and all my USLOR's were from pathologists so ii was not sure any IM program would consider my application at all. But i decided to apply to few IM programs in the end, it was in Nov which was too late. I didnt get any iv's initially as i wasnt certified and also because it was too late. But once i got the certification i wrote to about 5 programs which had not rejected my app, and told them i was certified and then i got 2 iv's.
I think there is no harm in you applying to few IM programs as well. I dont know what your visa status is but if you dont need any visa, you might have a good chance. You never know unless you try it.( I'm thinking that what you meant by results in oct, is that you will be ecfmg certified by then.)
Hope this helps..
Thanks for the reply, bantibanda.

Here is my question: after I request the release of USMLE transcript, when should I pay for it? In MyEARS, it says USMLE transcript released, but I was never asked to make a payment.

My impression is that, after I applied for the programs, I will be asked to pay for both EARS fee and USMLE transcript fee, is that right?
Yes, you are right, Icase. after you applied for the programs, you will be asked to pay for both EARS fee and USMLE transcript fee.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »