Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anybody applying for Radiology? - radio
Hey tothematch, The interview lasted for 45 mins. 2 interviewers. PD and another Prof. They did not ask any weird questions. They will ask you about why radiology, positives/negatives, what your friends describe you the best, Why St.Vincent? and such simple questions. No need to worry about that. The tone of the interview was very friendly. But one thing i can say is that, they donot care much about your radiology research. They do about your scores; higher the better (>250s or even better >260s). They are a small program but are expanding their facilities (with some really new and great MRI equipment).

BCM is a good program but is extremely competitive. They got around 700 applications this year and is making to the top of the list for every one. Last night i went for the interview dinner and the residents were pretty cool. This the first wave of IV at BCM and is for BCM students only (I'm not a BCM student - I dont know how the hell they gave me an iv with BCM students).

dena, I'm in the same boat as you for prilim. I got only like 2 prilim iv spots. its crazy. I regret that i should have applied to TY spots. But i did not. I wasnt sure if i will get any radiology ivs, but ended up getting 3 atleast. So it is a bad fix.
blackjack, thanks so much for all the info!!! I really appreciate it.

Congrats again for the BCM interview. I'm sure if you went on the first wave of IV they must like you. Do you have any LOR from a BCM faculty? If so, I think BCM could be a good shot for you. Just work hard on it. I have the impression many IMGs enter these places through connections with faculty. The more they know you the better. So good luck.

dena, about prelims, I've been doing OK I think. Went to a couple of interviews already. But yes, it's very competitive. I think prelim is as important, if not more, to get than rads. My plan is if I don't match in rads I can always start my prelim, apply again for rads, now with clinical experience here in the US and letters from IM faculty. What do you guys think of this?
Yes man. That is a very good idea. I personally know people who have really good research papers published (2-3 first author) and worked their tails off for about an year and a half resulted in no increased rads offers.

They prefer candidates with USCE any day more than people without it. And yes I have a letter from one of the BCM faculty (very well known in radiology in the country). The dinner with BCM students was fun, but could see a lot of people have their origins in India (more brown than whites!). That tells something about people from Indian origin.

BCM IM dept have preference for people who match in radiology in BCM. So the best case scenario would be for me to match at Baylor and get the PGY1 position as well.

Hope things go fine for every one....
I have not decided yet.. if I can not get in radiology, I will stay in my research position or I will enter a prelim program. I am not sure which one will work for me.
Hey Blackjack, BCM is a great program for radio and is IMG friendly. Number of seats is high and....Do your best on that.
I have applied a few TYs but I couldn't get any IV. I had 5 rej from 10!
The location is very important to me. I don't want to waste my time in the middle of no where for five years. I believe it doesn't worse it. I have not even applied for many of programs for this reason. Maybe I will regret on March!!!
hey dena and tothematch how many interviews you guys got for both rads and prilim or TY. lets keep in touch dudes.
2 and 2
Hey guys, do you mind sharing what those programs might be? like if they are community / univ. and also appreciate if you can mention your triple digit score ranges.
my IVs are from good community programs. no University yet. my scores are more than 220.
how about you blackjack?
IMG, 2004 graduate 1 and 2 >250s research (1 pub - 1st author in prep) no published articles yet. Drafted some NIH grant proposals at BCM. Their approval is pending. 1 univ and 2 community rads. 3 prilim (3 univ)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »