Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guys I am very sad, I hope a get General Surgery - matchnow
I remember when I started the USMLE process I was always hoping to get a General Surgery spot. But I have always heard this is a very competitive specialty in America, not for IMG but it may be an exception if you got pretty high scores. Well, my scores are in the low and high 80's and first attempt. I'm in a dilemma, I know I won't be happy in any other specialty just for the sake of money and prestige, I want my dream to become a cardiothoracic surgeon and I know I'm against the odds. It may be much better to return to my home country and start doing general surgery and apply here every year to General Surgery. I'm not planning to give up my dream. It would be the best to be in the US and become a cardiothoracic sugeon but I have to be realistic. I hope God guides me on this. Good luck everyone.
A very close friend of mine with 5-6 publications + 1 yr US research Experience + GC + 2005 grad + Scores in high ninties has just 1 cat. IV call so far man... after applying to 150 prog..

No hard feelings but even many US grads can't match in surgery !!
Dont discourage the guy!
Its nice to see someone chasing noble dreams here. A couple of years ago, a good friend of mine applied to over 100 programs in only surgery, got only one interview for prelim in a county hospital. She attended the interview, prematched, worked for a year, applied again for categorical all over and had interviews in only 2 places including the one she was working in. She is happily doing her categorical now though it has been a lengthy process.

Take heart, follow your dreams, be flexible and ready to surmount obstacles at the beginning. Remember it is ultimately your decision but think before you leap. That way you won't regret whichever path life takes you.
keep praying to God, nothing is impossible for God
i know how it feels, hang in there!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »