Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
family medicine mother thread - dumbdumb
dumb dumb I will ask my ER doc friend. He's kind of an arrogant a-hole but very informative as to why ER is THE BEST specialty ;-)
Hospitalist is a relatively new field, not a stupid question at all. Names of interviewees, like the people showing you around, faculty members that you meet, even janitor if you are that good. NO NO NO I liked so and so in the sense like this
"I really appreciated XXXX showing me around the campus, and enjoyed our conversation, XXXX was very heplful and informative with all of my questions."

below is an example of Hospitalist job. Hope that it helps.

http://physicianjobs.cejkasearch.com/pos...27983.aspx
base salary is usually $200 K but we all make more, and enjoy almost half the month off, working 14-18 12 hour shifts per month, with occasional nights.
12 hour shifts usually done at 3 pm, starting at 8 am, and answer phone calls for the rest of the day until 7pm.
Very very cush lifestyle, with occasional horrible days, with up to 18 admissions in a 12 hour time period.
Usually no more than 4 to 5 admissions, round on say 12 or 14 maximum.
FM is the "hidden gem" trust me..... enjoying tons of time off, and cush lifestyle.... clinic medicine does NOT work like that.
It is very hard and brutal to run a practice, seeing patients in the office. You should do other things to supplement your income in that case. It is not that bad if you work for a corporation though, but do not EVER try and open and run your own practice, it is a nightmare.
I joined a Hospitalist group right away and love it very much.
how about working in a private clinic owned by urself or a group? which on do u prefer, genesismd?
but I heard u can only work as a hospitalist when u r still relatively young, bec the life is just like residents'. when u getting older, a private clinic maybe better bec it's more flexiable. is that right?
if you do FM, you can enjoy a lucrative lifestyle, and do

Traditional Family Medicine with or without Ob -- salary from $150 K up to $300 K includes Pediatrics
Urgent Care $180 K to $280K I have seen
Hospitalist $180 K and above, almost anybody that does Hospitalist medicine makes over $200K -- it is fast paced and hard work sometimes though, and you have to think on your feet, sometimes ICU patients it can get time consuming, but it is SHIFTWORK and you are ALWAYS THERE. Not bad at all. Most days done and at home by 3 pm maximum, sometimes a bit more.
ER -- I have received monster job offers, total annual salary near $300 K down south and in the midwest, working LESS THAN HALF THE MONTH ONLY 12 12 HOUR SHIFTS A MONTH.
FM is amazing.
Thanks for the insight genesis - and I do love cushness and variety so probably FM is right for me.
""""dumbdumb - 10/23/08 20:38

how about working in a private clinic owned by urself or a group? which on do u prefer, genesismd? """""

I would prefer neither honestly, clinic is not for me at all.

I would never work in a clinic by yourself, it is WAY too much administrative hassle, and politics. You have to make sure that everybody is happy, and that all spots are filled in your clinic and employed, it is a NEVERENDING job in my opinion. I could never ever take the strain of running my own office. Keeping everyone happy, I want to be kept happy honestly. My whole life I have worked for others, time for people to work for me, and make me happy. I thoroughly enjoy my new field, and get any days off in which I choose.

"""but I heard u can only work as a hospitalist when u r still relatively young, bec the life is just like residents'. when u getting older, a private clinic maybe better bec it's more flexiable. is that right? """"

You are very correct, it is physically demanding, but if you can meet that challenge, you can succeed. You have to be hardened, and learn how to work quickly and work with others including nurses in a collegiate manner, and realize and understand that not everything will go your way, but at the end of the day, you make tons of cash, and go home most days at 3 p.m. with MINIMAL paperwork.
Office work is TONS of paperwork, and patients are never happy in my opinion. It is very very hard working in clinic.
I treasure life style more than money. I don't like to work like a horse all my life. I want to make money but also enjoy life too. Does FM help u easily achieve that goal?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »