Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre match take or not to take - devil12421
go for peds - chances are you'll match in something...
Have you registered with NRMP? If you haven't take the contract and continue to interview. You have until Feb 25 th to register, until then you dont operate under their rules. If you have, take the contract and put off returning it for as long as possible. The contract will stipulate when it becomes void. With the remaining programs find out which ones prematch and which ones had unfilled positions last year. Use this information to determine which programs you want to attend and try to advance the interview, some may have cancellations and can move your spot up. Your credentials are good you should have no problem.

Good luck man
So, i_am_sam, you think there should be no problem to recall your signature from the signed contract later on, should you change your mind in favor for another program?

I tend to agree with you on that matter, but this should happen before the date the program submits its quota number to NRMP so PD has a time to either the adjust the number, or give the canceled pre-match sit to somebody else.
hi dena...its scary to believe that someone did not match with 16 ivs in hand...were they all in the same speciality or different ones?
Hey devil12421,

You should definitely take it, no question!!!

I have similar credentials as yours and I have 6 IVs in IM and I'll take the prematch given the fact that there's so much competition. And you never know hows other programs going to rank you. Remember each program interviews about 10 applicants for each position. So think like this - that prematch you got offered was an Opportunity. It is KNOCKING. KNOCKING and hope you know that it KNOCKS only once. So close your eyes and take it and free yourself from the misery of match and uncertainty. Good Luck
If you want peds badly, IM is not a good choice for you. But IM is much much better than not having anything at all. By the way FM would be closer to peds since many FM docs see lots of children. Ask PD for additional time to think it over, if possible. Some program can give you 4 weeks to decide. Just tell him that you want to interview at other programs as well.

Your chances of not being matched are high but nobody can really predict since there are many subjective factors involved.

When is comes to making decision, most PDs would not give more than 1-2 weeks to hear back... The reason is simple: they sometimes offer pre-matches for a certain number of sits in the program, and they do not want to give more offers then the number of sits dedicated for that... First come - first served... So, take the offer, and enjoy it...

Programs that offer pre-matches are not desperate for filling all the spots during the match, and these are not bad programs, as some would think... Of course, these are the programs that are not bothered by AMGs too much, but so what ?!?!?! Don't we feel ourselves to be better/more knowledgeable than AMGs? I personally do, and I welcome people to join me... The PD that extended P/M to me said that he is too busy to read through 2000+ application to compose the rank list... So, he used ERAS to select candidates with certain criteria, and then invites them... This all means that you are already selected to receive privileges... GO and GET THEM, DO NOT BE STUPID!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »