Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tourette syn - dr2k2
A five-year-old boy with a history of Tourette syndrome is brought to the pediatrician by his mother. She reports that, over the past six months or so, her son has started having difficulty in school: he easily loses focus, procrastinates, and shows poor impulse control. At the last parent-teacher conference, his teacher complained he is constantly "bouncing off the walls" and generally disrupting class. If his pediatrician were to treat these new symptoms pharmacologically, which of the following drugs would be most appropriate?

A. Atomoxetine
B. Dextroamphetamine
C. Methylphenidate
D. Modafinil
E. Risperidone
overactive, dont know

EEE?

Correct ans is A) Here the diagnosis is Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder(ADHD) with Tourette syndrome.Standard treatment of this condition involves using CNS stimulants, such as methylphenidate and dextroamphetamine, to bring about a paradoxical decrease in DA levels.However, using dopaminergic drugs in this patient would exacerbate his Tourette syndrome, which involves overactive dopaminergic signalling in the thalamus, basal ganglia, and frontal cortex. In this case, atomoxetine (a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) is best as it will improve the patient's concentration without worsening his tics.
Thanks again
I am brain dead, I remmember solving this one b4 and know I am not able to recall, instead of A I picked E.

my hypocampus is disconnect from the rest of my brainSmile

I need a brain transplant.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »