Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone clarify where VIP is produced from? - prevail
FA says: parasympathetic ganglia in sphincters, gallbladded, and small intestine,

UW says: Pancrease.

For me I agree with FA, what do u think?

thanks.
i go with fa..it's a coordinated process: vip lead relax and intestine movement...parasympathetic control
thanks juneflower.
to be precise: parasympathetic does two things sequently 1: open sphincter and let food pass 2: intestime move--digest...i use this way to help me
cool, thanks.
for avoiding unncessary confusion: VIP only does relax job, not movement/digest
The Q was
"where VIP is produced from?"

I think UW is correct......
VIP locates in nerve ending......some other places can produce, yet functions slightly differed.

No mistakes in above two sources, viturally.
COOL
Vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP, also polypeptide[1]) is a peptide hormone containing 28 amino acid residues and is produced in many areas of the human body including the gut, pancreas and suprachiasmatic nuclei of the hypothalamus in the brain.

It has a half-life (T1/2) in the blood of about two minutes.

VIP has an effect on several different parts of the body:

With respect to the digestive system, VIP seems to induce smooth muscle relaxation (lower esophageal sphincter, stomach, gallbladder), stimulate secretion of water into pancreatic juice and bile, and cause inhibition of gastric acid secretion and absorption from the intestinal lumen.[2] Its role in the intestine is to greatly stimulate secretion of water and electrolytes[3], as well as dilating intestinal smooth muscle, dilating peripheral blood vessels, stimulating pancreatic bicarbonate secretion, and inhibiting gastrin-stimulated gastric acid secretion. These effects work together to increase motility.[4]
It also has the function of stimulating pepsinogen secretion by chief cells.
It is also found in the brain and some autonomic nerves. One region of the brain includes a specific area of the suprachiasmatic nuclei (SCN), the location of the 'master circadian pacemaker'. The SCN coordinates daily timekeeping in the body and VIP plays a key role in communication between individual brain cells within this region. Further, VIP is also involved in synchronising the timing of SCN function with the environmental light-dark cycle. Combined, these roles in the SCN make VIP a crucial component of the mammalian circadian timekeeping machinery.
VIP helps to regulate prolactin secretion.[5]
It is also found in the heart and has significant effects on the cardiovascular system. It causes coronary vasodilation[6] as well as having a positive inotropic and chronotropic effect. Research is being performed to see if it may have a beneficial role in the treatment of heart failure
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »