Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Match becoming tough every year? - drbonita
Have your say!
Yes Sir! It is so competitive in addition to a lot of new PD that are so hesitant to talk an action and select the best candidates to offer them prematches before flying to other programs. I wish you having your best luck.
In short, Yes... specially for desi grads. If you are out of school from desiland for >5 years, its gonna be v v tough. I have been thru 3 matches so I know.

1. USMGs are now focusing on unversity programs bigtime
2. Carribean/South american Grads are pouring in
3. European grads speically from east europe are increasing
4. Desi grads with resdiency completed in UK want to move to US
5. DO's are big in midwest.. and most of them now want ACGME accredited residencies

I really think in 2-3 years time.. desis will find it very difficult. I have been thru a lot of mental trauma and has i not done it this year (by grace of God) i wouldve gone back to India or i was thinking of becoming a Nurse.

Yes, for sure. According to the NRMP data number of applicants from 2007 to 2009 have increased by 5000 where as the positions have not changed much. And through my experience this year and last year PD's are looking for already trained candidates, rather than taking in fresh grads and molding them in to physicians.
Match itself is not harder once you get an interview. Yes, it is harder to get interviews because of so many applications, but programs invite the same number of applicants for interviews every year, so once you're invited, your chance of getting matched in the program stays the same. I just interviewed at a program that cut the number of people invited for interviews in half, so actually, the chance of matching here doubles for those who got invited. The number of applications increased from last year, so there're more people who got rejected.
thanks for the good tip.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »