Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my score and experience - rei
I got my score last week, but I was away and didn't have time to post. I was very surprised to see 99/242. After the exam I wasn't sure I will pass and I was hoping to get over 90... but never thought I would get 99. My experience: old-old grad (1998), doing research in US, working full time. I studied 2-3 hours daily, with some interruptions, for more than 1 year. It took me few months to figure out how to study for USMLE - basically to realize that there is no point in studying a subject exhaustively from 20 different books, and that Kaplan is enough. I read kaplan twice, but even after the second reading there were many things I didn't know. I did path and biochem from Goljan RR, and I listened to the Goljan lectures over and over in my car on my way to and from work. By the end of it, I probably had listened those lectures at least 6-7 times.
I did FA twice. My scores:
UW subject-wise (67%) - but not all of it, just some quwstions here and there,
Rx 61% (timed, unused, mixed subjects),
NBME CD 72%
NBME 6 on line 440 (204) 3 months before the exam. After that, i re-read kaplan and FA, which I guess put my exam score in the 99 range.

I thought the exam was easier than NBME and UW, and I thought that this is going to hurt my score, because people say the exam is scored against other test takers, so easy questions are scored somehow less than hard questions. However, how hard a question is has more to do with your knowledge - if you know the answer, then it's an easy q, if you don't know it than it seems hard. I marked about 3-4 qs per block, especially the ones with calculations, which I did at the end of the block. The qs that I had no idea what they are asking I just guessed and moved on without even marking them.

I will answer qs if anyone asks. Good luck to you all and hope to see you all in the Step 2 forum! All in all, I think this exam is doable, just keep studying. I know people say you have to do all qs in UW, which is not a bad thing, but my feeling is that you don't have to to all of them. You just need to know concepts and it doens't matter if you learn them in Kaplan or UW. You also need to be able to do qs, so use the qs banks to learn how to read them fast and how to look for clues. The qs on the exam give you multiple clues in the stem so you could get the right answer if you know just one clue out of the 4-5 that they give you. They are not tricky questions, so don't look for hidden meaning and don't read too much into the q. The most obvious answer is the right one!
congrats Smile u deserve it
very nice.congratulation and good luck for the rest of the steps
congrats rei... gr8 score
congrats.......lovely score
hi rei! i hope u rmbr me.. congrats.. well done.. i knew u would get nothing less than a 99.. big big congratulations.. GL for step 2.. c u in step 2 forum..
rei,
Even I'm a very old(1997)graduate.Till now I finished Biochem,physio and 1/3rd patho all 1st reading.(Kaplan)Can I take the test in April end?Can u please give ur suggestion?
hi my name is vikramjitsingh and, i would like to congratulate you on your graet success.rei i came to boston 6 months back with my wife ,we got green card .i thought it will easy for me to preapare for usmle in usa but with work load its getting harded for me to study. i want to apply for residency in 2010 .i am thinking to go back to india for 10 months and preapare 1,2 there itself.i need some advice on that.would do u suggest.plese if u will get some time write to me.my email adds is vikramjitsinghbhullar17. thank you and congrats again.
Thank you all! As I said, I was very surprised and I still think it's possible that they send me a letter saying "sorry for the mistake, we sent you someone else's score... your corrected score is ... something around 90" . But I guess miracles do happen! One more piece of advice: visit the forum often because people post questions that you could learn from. I've learned about the pontine myelinosis in alcoholism after rapid correction of hyponatremia in the forum and that got me another point in the exam. Here you can meet wonderful people that you can talk to about the exam and preparation and get support during the stressful times.
Of course I remember you, pankyash! You've helped me a lot when I had questions. So were many other people that had moved on in the meantime, ebna (he had dissapeared lately), unstable, Keith, harsh (best NBME teacher ever... I did few qs form NBME 5 with him and I got 3-4 similar qs on the exam) and so many others. I don't want to make this into an Oscar-type speech, but thank you to anyone who contributes to this forum!
lol @ oscar type speech Smile))

my only regret is that i didnt visit this great forum earlier, there r a lot of great ppl here
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »