Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
medical informatics and residency - swtgrl21
A friend of mine recently graduated with Masters degree in Medical Informatics from a top univ prog in US. She had tried for residency before but she was not able to match for 3 years prior to doing her Masters. She is GC holder 2000 grad passed all steps. No USCE. She wants to try again for residency next yr in transitional progs and IM. Or should she now concentrate on health IT jobs with her MMI degree. Thanks

what r scores ? are there any attempts in USMLE?

Date of graduation is one thing, but it is not everything to get residency.

were all steps completed in 7 yrs ..

Above all what is his/her interest ?

If there are no attempts in step1 and step2 ck, then there is a reasonable chance ..

If there is an attempt, there must be an alternate career...

It is always better to have a backup career anyways.., so no harm in trying ..

There are only 2 things that help most to get residency inyterviews: USMLE scores and US clinical experience. But once you are invited for interviews, other things on the CV, like Masters degrees/research exp, etc will help distinguish you from other candidates and will increase your chances of getting ranked.

But nothing beats scores and US clinical experience with good letters!
no attempts. passed all steps within 7 years. low scores though 75 82 79. Her interest is to do residency but bec she could not get in past few yrs she had decided to pursue Masters in Health Informatics...had to pay a lot of tuition fees though. do you all think its worth doing residency os is she better off aplying for health IT jobs?

Basically it depends on interest and satisfaction.

Step 1 is a bit low but the rest are fine.

If it does not work then there is always alternate career.
swtgrl21,

Both are excellent careers, it's just a matter of passion and interest.one should be happy in either depending on how much he/she wants it, right?

Electronic records are being made compulsory and there's no looking back so there is so much scope for an informatician ( only if he/she has burning passion). Medicine has been and is always a great career but people may get burned out also and switch to something else...it's completely normal.

I am currently doing job with EMR softwear vendors as Clinical Informatics Coordinator , I have applied for residency but did not get many IV. But what i feel at My IV everyone was more interested abt details of my current job in terms then y i want to quit that field. So just a suggestion what i realize that PS shud be strong enough to convince that our passion is to be just Doctors, because they do ask about why changing tracts?
Ask her to apply to Family medicine, Ped, Pys next year. I did that and I got more then 5 interviews with 4 attempts on step 1 and 85 in step 2. Scores are imp but how you present yourself is very imp, it's the whole package and usmle scores is one of many things PD looks when he reads your application.
Hello guys and girls,

First of all, congratulations to friend of swtgrl21 who finished MMI. it's a huge success. May i know from which university she graduated? I am interested in pursuing MMI. personally If I were you, I would suggest to pursue exploring your options in MI jobs. It is quite less stressful and it is growing market.

About my experience and credentials: I hv 77,77,CS. no attempts. one year of US residency in FM. but did not get completion or 2nd year contract due to faculty's laziness to train too many IMG in programs. They hired more experienced people to fill seats by removing 3 of IMG including me. So painful. I did not fight to get LoRs and now applied again for 2011 season knowing that I got 2 interviews only. preparing for step 3 and taking in March. I will give shot till end of post match season and then switch career. It has been 5 years since I came to this country and in terms of financial situation: I m no where. So thinking to invest in MMI and start a fresh career in hope to get stability in life.

I am sure there are many IMGs like me and you in the US who are frustrated with the system. some got lucky to get in and out without problem but few like us did not bring luck when we born. Lessons learned are extremely important in life.
How much can you make with a MMI degree? What exactly do you do?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »