Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tue's Qs... - jeff75
2. A stressed myocardial cell that has no calcium gradient across its plasma membrane most likely has undergone which of the following processes?
A ) Abortive mitosis
B ) Adaptation
C ) Cell death
D ) Repolarization
E ) Reversible cell injury

3. A 5-year-old boy in the intensive care unit was initially startled by the sound of physicians' beepers but no longer reacts after he hears the sound several times. Which learning principle best explains this phenomenon?
A ) Avoidance
B ) Classical conditioning
C ) Habituation
D ) Partial reinforcement
E ) Punishment
F ) Spontaneous recovery

19. Basic fibroblast growth factor is applied to an experimentally induced dermal wound. A histologic section is prepared 72 hours later. Compared with an untreated wound, the most likely alteration in this wound is
A ) decreased numbers of fibroblasts
B ) increased breakdown of matrix
C ) increased numbers of blood vessels
D ) increased numbers of eosinophils
E ) Increased numbers of giant cells

25. A 57-year-old man receives a sintered titanium oxide implant during total hip arthroplasty following traumatic injury. During the first 6 weeks following surgery, bone ingrowth anneals to the bone-metal interface in both the femur and acetabulum, thus securing the prosthesis in position. Type I collagen secretion in the first stage of matrix formation is mediated by which of the following cell types?
A ) Chondroblasts
B ) Chondrocytes
C ) Endothelial cells
D ) Macrophages
E ) Osteoblasts
F ) Osteoclasts
G ) Osteocytes

26. A 9-year-old boy has had the lesions shown for several months. Which of the following histologic changes would be most likely if this lesion were biopsied?
A ) Cytoid bodies and loss of adhesion to adjacent cells
B ) Epidermal acanthosis with subepidermal blister
C ) Epidermal thinning with marked inflammatory dermal infiltrate
D ) Marked squamous cell dysplasia with thinned stratum corneum
E ) Thickened stratum corneum and epidermis and vacuolated squamous cells

35. A neonate has a murmur at the apex, which is a normal transient finding in up to 50% of newborns. Which of the following actions concerning informing the parents about the murmur is most appropriate?
A ) Defer telling the parents and order an echocardiogram
B ) Defer telling the parents because heart murmurs often resolve
C ) Defer telling the parents but order a cardiology consultation
D ) Tell the parents and examine the infant again in 24 hours
E ) Tell the parents that this finding is normal but offer a cardiology consultation

40. Normal cycles of ciliogenesis in oviduct epithelial cells depend directly on which of the following activities?
A ) Biogenesis of additional mitochondria
B ) Chromosomal DNA replication
C ) Glycosylations within the Golgi body
D ) Multiplications of centrioles
E ) Synthesis of cytokeratin

45. A 50-year-old woman comes to the physician because of a fever, cachexia, and malaise for the past 6 months. Auscultation discloses a low-pitched, early to mid-diastolic murmur. Echocardiography shows a left atrial mass that prolapses into the mitral valve orifice during diastole. Which of the following findings is most likely on microscopic examination of this mass?
A ) Amorphous extracellular matrix
B ) Glycogen-containing polygonal cells
C ) Malignant lymphoid cells
D ) Malignant spindle cells
E ) Mature adipose cells

49. Which of the following modifications of an endogenous pharmacologically active peptide would be most likely to slow the metabolism of the peptide, thus decreasing its clearance and increasing its half-life?
A ) Administering the peptide with an enteric coating
B ) Decreasing the number of amino acids in the peptide
C ) Ensuring a free amino group at the N terminal
D ) Ensuring a free carboxyl group at the C terminal
E ) Substituting a D for an L amino acid
Hi do you have the actual answers for these questions as I dont want to try and answer them and not know if I was right as my exam is Friday and I dont want to wind up more confused than I am already!
2.C
3.C
19.C
25.G.
35.D.
40.E.
45.A
for 35
E not D refer to cardiologist.
sorry I don't have the answers,either. Let's help up each other ...
hey guys any idea about answer number 49.I have no idea about it!!And 35 is E no doubt abt it..
These questions are well difficult. What the hell? I havent started preparing for Step 1 yet but these look impossible. Never asked stuff like this at med school.

Regards
Siddesh
2.C
3.C
19.C
25.E
26.???There's no picture
35.E
40.C
45.B
49.E

Let me know the correct answers and let's discuss about the ones we don't agree.
2.c
3.c
19.c
25.e
35.e
40.d
45.a
hi Jeff where are the Q's from?

hi danut ,
45 is A ,i think coz the patient has an atrial myxoma.symptoms such as fatigue and fever ar present.As for the murmur,probably could result from the tm obstructing the mitral valve orifice during diastole.
anyone with the hav an explanation for q40?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »