Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dr Goljan live lecture in NY - usmlenewyork
Just fyi, you can watch his live lecture for free in New York on February 15th. The information is on the following site :
http://www.falconreviews.com/nyc/
He's teaching for Falcon now? Since when?

Has anyone attended any of his recent lectures with that program?
He's awesome but word for word from the audio tapes. The Falcon program is garbage - I have been studying for the past 4 months after leaving that program because tehy don't teach anything. All the professors are doctors - but they don't know shit. I hate that program and all of my friends that got suckered into doing it hate it too. I mean - if you ever get a hold of their notes - you'll know what I mean - there's no organization or pattern. It's all arranged in a haphazard way. Plus, many of the professors don't know they are teaching until a day or two before they are supposed to show up. So, they never know what is exactly in their notes (because they didn't write them).

In sum - Goljan rocks, falcon doesn't - but save your money and just listen to his audio and buy his books.

BTW - he gets paid $25,000 for 5 days of teaching by Falcon.
MDorBust,

I had a different experience than smoke had. I like everyone else had the audio on my ipod, but he was incredible in my Dallas class late last year, answered questions well and he was actually the guy at the tutoring sessions after class. I found the other professors solid as well - more or less on par with Kaplan's offerings (did part of their live course last June but had to drop out because my mother got sick). I did like the fact that the professors were the ones that led the tutoring sessions to straigten things out, as I tend to overthink questions.

I think regardless of how good he, or any program, is, I strongly suggest you do the reading beforehand. If you felt lost in medical school, there is no program - Kaplan, Pass, or Falcon, that can substitute you working to, 'catch up'.

I just got a 670 on my NBME and will be taking the exam in about two weeks, so I'll let you know how it goes. I highly recommend a course, USMLEworld (the explanations are just so good), kaplan qbank (if you run out of questions), Goljan Rapid Review, and First Aid. Kaplan also has a 'First-Aid-esque' book called Med Essentials that was good for reference.

Goljan is definitely worth taking a look at if you happen to be in the city for this thing that Falcon is having, if not just to use as a, 'jumpstart' to your prep. I think just getting started is the scariest part.

Good luck and study hard.

PS - I wish I could make $25,000 for teaching 5 days. I think thats what most, 'normal' teachers make in a year! What's the average salary for a pathologist, anyway?
I really don't know what busybee is talking about. I'm glad he/she had such a great experience at Falcon - but the teachers idiots (except for Goljan). If you know your information fairly well, you will realize this while in the program. Three ppl actually left during the program - and many ppl in my class stayed in their hotel room during lectures because the professors were so worthless. Reading material before coming to class at Falcon - is next to impossible. Trust me. You don't have time. The professors were at the tutoring sessions - but if they lead you during class with incomplete notes (the notes lack any depth whatsoever) - and then are again present at the tutoring sessions - what exactly are you gaining? The TAs get wasted every night but they are cool. I would study my butt off and then do questions after class - and miss 70% of them because their notes are so horrible. Plus, I and ALL of my friends have had to spend months studying for the test because that program is so shitty. On top of that - they encourage you to record your notes on audio and listen to it over and over again for studying. Now, think to yourself - on an exam that tests your comprehension of knowledge - how much aid is it possibly going to be to "just memorize" your notes. Seriously.

I have been steady at 250 on UW SA 2 and am going to give the NBME here soon. I am not a weak student by any means. All of my friends that have the same gripes with me - also are aiming for the 250 marker on the real test. I find it hard to believe that someone that is in this score range to actually approve of this program. This program is designed for ppl that continually fail the Step or are just trying to pass. The majority of kids in there have no ambition or drive - they are just trying to pass.

Trust me. I know what I'm talking about. If you're going to do any program - do Kaplan.
I'm sorry you're so angry, smoke, lol. This, too, shall pass (no pun intended).

I had former Kaplan/Pass students in my Falcon Class and former Falcon/Pass students in my Kaplan Class. It's one big orgy of USMLE prep.

The same can be said for professors at the other programs. I had a guy at Kaplan named Wilson TRY to teach physio in NY and on the 2nd day half the class didnt show up because he was reading from the book. For Dr Ruebush for Imm/micro for at the during the same session, most of the class that DID show up was sleeping an hour into it. Pass I dont know about other than what I've heard , but that one guy can't be good at teaching everything.

The group I was in supported each other and woke each other up if one of us was late for class. Building relationships during this process with people that are going to push you is just as important as any practice qbank that you do.

I am always going to hate Falcon - because I feel there should be a rating system set in place for medical students instead of just going to a program. But, not waking up in the morning was not the reason ppl didn't go to class. It's just that ALL the teachers are horrible except for Goljan. That sucks that you had two horrible teachers at Kaplan - but I really don''t see how you would go backwards in your review courses. If you guage the review program based on information alone - Kaplan far outweighs Falcon and completely dissolutes Pass. I'm not really understanding what you are trying to say about building relationships during a review course. I didn't see any time to do that - other than the crew that you go in there with already. I went to Ross - and we were about 40 ppl deep in there. So, I realy didn't worry about making friends cuz I knew everyone I needed to.

But, let's agree to disagree. Good luck to you. I'm just trying to help someone out from making a huge mistake.
I think I'm more confused now than before I asked my question. I just asked if he's lecturing and how he was because I was thinking of going to this lecture on on Feb 15th since I'll be at home studying anyway in NJ (if he's good, then I'll pay the toll through the Lincoln Tunnel to see him).

BusyBee, can you please IM message me on yahoo (MDorbust3), I have a few questions since you did both programs I'm considering.

Smoke, do you work for Kaplan? Did you do the Pass, Falcon AND Kaplan courses?

I did a search and came up with lots of posts of you knocking Pass and Falcon but nothing but praise for Kaplan - http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=380820 . If so, I dont think its cool that you're posing on this site as someone that actually cares.
mdorbust - check my stats homie - I not only boast Kaplan but I ROCK everyone's questions on here. I praise Kaplan cuz I did the Kaplan videos and they cover everything. You can do whatever program you like. I really don't care what you think. I was just trying to advise you based on my experiences. As a matter of fact, you should go to Falcon - and follow it to the T - then go take the test - and just remember me when you're taking the Step - and doing a question on sarcoidosis and have never heard of it causing anterior uveitis. Please don't do Kaplan. Plus, if you did your research a little more thoroughly - you would find that I'm an active participator of this forum - and have a fan base. So, do what you gotta do bro. Best of luck to you.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »