Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BEWARE of scamsters on craigslist, true experience - kumaun_boy
Hello to all, I am from India and will be going to Mt Sinai Medical Center Miami for an observership in a few days from now. I had posted an ad on craiglist for a room and I got this reply from a lady ( i really doubt that now) named Janet Ladson. I am posting the emails sent by her to me during our correspondance.

1st EMAIL

Hi,
I saw your posting on craigslist and i have what you are looking for in south florida Apartment Miami Beach when my husband died i have to move to west africa because of my job transfer.please contact me for more info and pics. Thanks.

(just look at the english) initially i didnt reply , but when i didnt get any more good replies , i decided to try

2nd EMAIL

Hi,
Thanks for your email and it is my gladness to hearing from you i am Janet Ladson,the owner of the apartment you are making enquiry of. my apartment is still available for rent for $400 and security and deposit $300 is including the utilities like hydro,washer and security,it is furnised.Pls i want you to note that,i am a kind and honest person and also i spent alot on my property that i want to give you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute mentenance of this apartment and want you to treat it as your own, is that taken,it is not the money the main problem but want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i came for a check up.i do that once in a while.I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word. Apartment is located 14 440 14 street, Miami Beach FL 33139, United States

I hope you are okay with the price of $400 with hydro,heat laundry facilities,air condition, internet connection and so on. i look forward to hearing from you .
Application to fill out and discuss on how to get the apartment for rent,also are you ready to rent it now or when? LOCATION & AREA
The apartment is in the Art Deco district in South Beach, Miami. South Beach is the southern end of Miami Beach and the South Beach clubs, bars, restaurants, beach and nightlife are legend. This apartment is in the heart of South Miami Beach near the shops and restaurants on Lincoln Road, Collins Avenue, Washington Avenue and Ocean Drive. The gay clubs and bars are nearby, as is the beach.

Address: 14 440 14 street, Miami Beach FL 33139, United States

Nearest Airport: Miami Internaional Airport - 15 Kilometers
Reception room 17'0" x 16'0" ( 5.18m x 4.88m )
Kitchen 13'0" x 11'0" ( 3.96m x 3.35m )
Bedroom 12'10" x 10'5" ( 3.91m x 3.18m )
Guest WC 5'0" x 2'10" ( 1.52m x 0..86m )

RENT APPLICATION FORM
Also,Pls let me get this answer.
1)Your Full Name
2)Present Address(where you reside now) & Phone Number
3)How old are you?
4)Are you married?
5)How many people will be living in the house?
6)Do you have a pet?
7)Do you have a car?
8)Occupation?
9)What is your religion?
10)Are you born again?
11)1 month deposite needed
(12) When are you Moving in? Get back to me so that i can send a copy to my lawyer.

Ladson Janet.

700$ for a property in South Beach, something was very fishy , gave her a false name and address

Now the fun part , the 3rd EMAIL

Thank you very much for your reply i can see your willingness in this apartment I want you to know that im satisfied with your profile and l also believe l can have trust in you.you can stay in my apartment till the period of time you wish to.. profile is accepted by my lawyer , rent fee is among the utilities so you can use them anytime but make sure you take proper care of my properties.i will come and pay you a visit after you have moved into our home to see how you are maintaining it,You will be paying to me or my lawyer via western unoin money transfer because l think it reliable,secured and fast,l wish you best of luck in your work, from your profile l can see that you are responsible and a hard working person may the almighty Lord lead you in what ever you wish to do.

Amenities Bathroom
Extra Toilet
Extra Guest Room
Sofa Bed
Bed Linen
Accommodation Features
.............................. .......................
Wood Floor
Heater
Central Heating
Equiped Kitchen
Tv: Cable/Satellite TV
Video/Stereo
Internet
Air Conditioning
Full Kitchen
Refrigerator
Garage/Car park
pets allowed

Kitchen Features
...................... ...............
Washing machine
Juice Machine
Iron
Toaster
Oven
Dishwasher
Coffee Maker
Microwave
Refrigerator
Stove

The monthly rent is $400 and deposit is $300 Total is $700.and thre will be an agreement lease between us to show that i have collected the payment from you.i can't wait because i am in west africa Nigeria so i will need you to make the deposit payment so that i can send the package to you. Because you said youn want to move in assap i will like to send the keys and document to you through DHL service and it will get to you the next day.please get back to me if that is ok by you.and i will like to register your name and address to the shipping company Please get back to me as soon as possible Thanks.

Ladson Janet.

you know what made me very suspicious abt this person, in the 2nd email she had forwarded me the photos of the apartment, they were very small , u know, the resolution in pixels was even smaller than that of the mobile scree. although the apartment was quite good, the rent was unbelievingly less (just 700$ and that too in South Beach) and when i saw the place in Google Map , the actual photo of the building in the street view option was not matching the photos sent by her. the window grills were definitely not matching Then i googled her email address and this is what i came across

http://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php...688cd323db just look at the post

by 'pocket sheperd' , u will understand what i am talking about. looks like her husband(or whoever) is also mixed up in the business

The lesson learnt is that we should always call the person up instead of just corresponding by emails

As for me, I declined her offer and blocked her email address
o my god!!there are scams goin all around..uff..me too in search of room near mount sinai,miami for june....hav to c..but cautiously!!
thnx fr ur info... lets be cautious
A wonderful job!
Thanks for all such postings.
Nigerians became really popular with their scams. Whenever you see Nigeria on any bills, emails that has something to do with money, run away! Smile)) I have had similar experience through eBay. Fortunately enough, I was really cautious and figured it out on time, just like you did, but there are a lot of people, especially foreigners like us, that can be fooled. There are a lot of con artists, just beware....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »