Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
western pennsylvania hospital - doc9997
how many of u have it on top of ur list........? I have it as No. 1 on my list.
did anyone get any ranking update from them? i didnt get any response.
Its getting somewhat bankrupt! Allegheny general and West Penn is considered very unstable system these days. But still I think residencies won't be affected for the next 2-3 years atleast!
good luck ..
thanx for the input pubmed........
West Penn is financially excellent ! Its still a profitable health system which is why they have all the latest tech in their hospitals. I think pubmed is entirely wrong and I have even researched this area intensely....West Penn is far better financially than most programs, and is actually doing very well. If you do your research you'll see for yourself. I was living in Pittsburgh for awhile and West Penn is actually known to give far superior care than UPMC.

Its also a top notch hospital....

Good luck!
Just one example, but there are many others:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/st...=printable

Talks about West Penn Allegheny's high profits in 2008
Anyhow I'm not saying that I know everything about the system, but I attended 16 interviews and I felt that West Penn was one of them most financially sound places I saw (its an exceptionally nice facility with some unique features like a comprehensive burn center and a large cancer center). It actually seems like a really advanced medical center, especially for cardio and oncology (thus all the in house fellowships)

I've heard that Rosalind Franklin was having financial problems and may lose the mount sinai affiliation. I also have heard that Cook County is going through a rough patch financially. Many NY programs are also going through some financial problems.
thanx zxcvbnm............did u get any response from them?
I'm not sure what financial stability is been referred here
please read this short link..you may google out yourself about the west penn allegheny system losses over past few years! I've nothing to lose or gain from this..Was just providing some info!
after all none can change the ROLs now...

http://www.fiercehealthfinance.com/story...2008-07-29

They had overstated their profits..the link that you provided zxcvbnm is an overinflated one!
Just to let you know that West Penn Hospital is abt to merge its residency and fellwohips with AGH ( or vice versa I forgot the exact details).. And its good that you lived in Pitts. but the info you have is a bit skewed... zxcvbnm

anyways good luck
Well, I don't have "insider" info about journalism and how news is reported...I just have to read the papers like everyone else Wink I can post several links like yours that shows the major profits they made this year, in a matter of fact this one is from the same newspaper you are using:

http://www.fiercehealthfinance.com/story...2008-04-16

Lol...

I just have to disagree with you entirely about the program being financially unstable, because from my knowledge about the place, including my visit, interview, and research, it is in fact a very financially sound and reputed program.

The programs are merging, which actually is awesome because both "Allegheny General" and "West Penn Hospital" fellowships will now both be considered in house !...so there will be 2 in house fellowships in Cardio, Pulmo, Hemo/Onc,...etc...They are merging because they are part f the same health system ("West Penn Allegheny")...it makes sense

As you said neither have anything to gain from this,...I guess I just have an entirely different opinion, and also I'm basing my statements from actually interviewing there and from my conversations with the residents and faculty.

lets hope you and everyone else matches where they'll be happy!

good luck
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »