Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OLD IMG,low scores, 4 IVs, 4th match and matched - jgjg
Dear Whom so ever who is discouraged without being matched.

I am the unlikely of the applicants who would have matched with the above credentials. I am more than 9 years post grad, 1 st step score 76, 2nd:83, passed CS and 3rd 77. This is the 4th time I am participating in the match .I can thoroughly understand the disappointment that people, especially old graduates , feel when they are unmatched. Had 4 IV and had one positive response from 1 PD. I was coming to my wits end. I never had so many rejections in my life. I applied to more than 150 hospitals for each match. so that is more than 500 rejections over the past 4 years. I have gone through the scramble the last 3 years .Even though I had clinical experience in UK , to be honest I didn't think I would ever match. I am a person who believes in Jesus Christ and He was my only hope to carry on and persist. Other people including my family members were getting tired of me and even though they wanted me to get into a program, at times their words hurt. I kept believing the promises of God and kept persisting. And Lo and behold when the results came yesterday I was matched. To be honest I was in tears.
So, those who are discouraged, never, never, never give up. Don't let anybody tell you what you can or cannot achieve.

Regards.
CONGRATULATION. . . CONGRATULATION. . . CONGRATULATION.
I know nothing about you, but I was so touched by your post, and decided to post this comment. Usually I never comment or post anything here, I dont really bother and I dont feel actual good intentions from the people here, tell U the truth, most of the times, I hated this forum.
I'm an old IMG graduate too, graduated september 2000. I was really suffering with the USMLE over the past 4 years. I'm married and I have a lot of family responsibilites, although I cant deny the great support of my lovely wife. It was really hard to see all my friends graduated or about to graduate from residency and I'm still studying for my exams. Finally I withdraw my self from every social activty and I hated when the telephone rang.
I was so miserable, nervous and insecure, BUT deep inside me I never lost my faith in JESUS CHRIST, I trust in his promise that he will guide and support me.
Within the last year and a half; I passed step 1 96, after 21/2 years of struggling, then I failed the CS on my first attemp, and passed on the second 2 month later. Finally I passed step 2 last august 99.In the last four years in my life, I worked anything, pumped gas delivered pizza, etc, but nothing which is medically related.
This year was my first year to apply for the match, and everyone told me that I wont natch, it takes many years to get something, blah blah blah. And to finaalize the grim picture, I applied ONLY for Anesthesia and Ob/Gyn. Every one tried to convencie me to apply to family, internal medicine, psychiatry, but I personally cant practice these. I was an Ob/Gyn back in my country, and this is what I love and wanted to do. Anesthesia mainly because I appreciate my family more than anything else in the world.
Semms tough , isnt it. . . . ???
Thanks God I matched.
Wish U the best of luck
I would like to keep in touch, my USMLE Forum linked email is sherinnazmy
Congratulation
Dear sheero76

Your story is also inspiring. Yes, God is faithful. Those who look to Him will never be ashamed. I will contact you in your email . The most important lesson I learned is that you need to keep your ears open to God and not man.

Regards.
Our Lord lives in miracles today everywhere. good work bro. God bless. all the best to u
DEAR sHERINE,
I was about to loose hope, I BELEIVE IN Jesus TOO, 5 years applying no match.
would like your advice...your words made me feel great.
I know He can make anything happens in the right time.
I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ too.He helped me in miraculous ways.I prematched only because of him.I am an old IMG needing visa.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and he will save you.How true.Thank you LORD!
My story,

Graduated 2000.

2001... Internship home country.
2002.. Applied but beginning of 2003 failed Cs.
2003... Failed CS could not match.
2004.... Matched in FP. St Joseph Chicago. Could not start residency due to J1 did not come on time.
2005. Lost my passport. My US visa got lost. Did not apply in the match.
2006... Matched in FP again..... Started residency but things did not work out.
2007... Did not match.
2008-2009... Matched again. 3rd time matched.

The things to learn are do not loose hope. Keep on trying. Always be thankful to God. Be patient. Learn from your mistakes. There are always nice people you will meet and they will give you a chance.
Dear jgjg, first at all congratulations!!
I love your story, is inspiring, and gives to all of of us ,the rest of the "oldies" that didn't match, gives us hope.
Your trust in God and especially not giving up on yourself paid off. Good work and well deserving. My familly has been unsupporting too, and million times i cried to God why I had so many rocks in my way to the residency , may be the residency is not for me after all, may be it is in future years, for now, I keep my trust in Jesus, and keep being a mom, my kids need me alot, may be that is one of the reasons why i did not matched yet, but for you my friend, it is your time!! I am happy for you, enjoy and be a good christian doctor, not like others, god bless , good luck in the residency.
a very moving post. Congrats to you!

hey sohail123 just wondering if you could give a little guidance and opinions....

residencyorbust
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »