Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
old graduate - taq
I am an old graduate, and I thought that I can take USMLE, but I am finding it very hard. On my UW i only get scores of 35- 45%. Can anyone guide me how to study?

i intend to take the exam in Jun but I am not confident, I think I will fail!!
when u did ur graduation.
what material are u using. use only few material, maybe only Kaplan and RR Goljan fr path,Goljan audio etc.. but do practice lots of ques, at least 2-3 times , 3/4 months before exam.I haven't yet taken the test, same boat, old grad etc. but still thought could give u Lil bit of my suggestions.
I graduated in 1985!!

I am using Kaplan, Goljan . I haven't done many questions yet because I haven't gone through all the syllabi.

Do I have to go through all the syllabus or should I my studies be questions oriented??
Hi taq
I'm an old graduate too!!
Maybe we can encourage each other...
I have just started studying for step1. I have not set a date yet, because I realized that I have a lot to go over before I do so.
However, from what I have seen on this forum and from talking to others who have taken the test, and, because quite a bit of time has passed since graduation, I find that I first have to read all the material-at least once. Revive the information stored in the brain......
and then do questions to assess the level and become aware of the weak areas....that is very important.

Then, do a second read. Do as many questions as you can. The system has changed a lot over the years, but it is absolutely not impossible for us to learn the new patterns and be able to answer the questions.

From what I have read, succeeding in step 1 has much to do with knowing the strategies for drawing out the knowledge you have at the time of the test. So, the more questions you answer, and look up your mistakes and correct them, the more you (we) will master this ...let's call it "art."

I am sure that you have already read quite a bit, and you still have time to finish reading and revise.....make sure you do as many questions as you can, which will help only if you correct your mistakes and look up the corrected answers.
That is what I have been told and have learned from those who already took the test.
That is what I plan to do.

Let us encourage each other. Keep up the good work.
Thank you for your encouraging reply!
A lot of hard work is required and revision is important too.
I think we will learn the strategies for doing the questions over time.

You are right its not impossible, though it is difficult.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »