Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
****89/213~~ MY STEP 3 JOURNEY feb2009**** - bethelcarmel
1.STEP 1 =APRIL=90(9months)
2.STEP 2CS = MAY=PASS(1 week)
3.STEP 2CK =NOVEM=99(3months)
4.STEP 3 =FEB=89(6weeks)
5.no usce
6.praying for surgery residency(i wish somebody could hire me directly from the forum)

APPLICATION:
1.please apply online(i did the mistake of applying by paper- so it took more than a month delay in taking exam
2.Connecticut boards

MCQ Preparation:
1.Uworld was more than a step 3 book..a must(but lazy i did just 50 percent)
2.kaplan 2ck book
3.first aid was like uworld itelf

CCS Preparation:
1.took Red s CCs WORKSHOP( i learnt to get started)
2.practise 10 cases EVERYDAY on uworld and Primum software(that way i was cool with it)
3.made list of all recent 2months CCS cases and made my notes(key diagnosis n treatment) for it to revise before xam..thats the best thing i did.. made me so comfortable in xam that i finish 9 CCS cases in 1 hour and half hours..I STRONGLY SUGGEST TO DO THIS.

SCORES:
uworld cumulat=60(last tests=70s)
tried to complete the block in 45 mins with uworld and in real xam in 50 mins.. ur mind gets programmed if u practise it this way to catch the speed..
so for 48 questions- u should have 15 mins left while practising
for 36 questions- u should have 8 mins left..
i make this 15 and 8 mins to do my biostat cases and long cases which neeeds time.. doing this i had no prob with time on the real exam!!!!!!!!!!

usmle cd=78
nbme=360(4 days before xam- i was shattered).. i dint give up...i knew i was going on the track... just used it to assess my weak areas(LEGAL ÐICAL MEDICINE)... but i know i could not change without clinical experience. thanks to pindi to ask me to go ahead! i took the xam as scheduled in 4 days as the software was changing and dint want to wait for 2 mths to get my result

NBME FOR STEP 3 IS NOT A SCORE RELATOR BUT AN ASSESSMENT TOOL OF UR WEAK AREAS ONLY.

EXAM experience
day1: i have no clue wat they asked and wat i answered..paeds more than IM.practising in timed mode helps..
day 2: it was fun... finished the day by noon

ive posted my day 1 and day 2 experience,ccs cases and mnemonics earlier.

SUMMARY:
1.take it soon after ur step 2 or during 1st year residency vacation(before u forget OBGYN/PAEDS)
2. dont take too long to prepare- does not make any difference
3.take nbme when u start ur prepartion as to assess ur weak areas
4.Make recent CCS cases list and practise CCS on primum EVERYDAY with a step3peer!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5.learn uworld theory!

ask urself if u are ready! u know it better than anybody else in the world
preparation is different for different people(months and books for prepn).its upto u again

This forum is a very supportive family. I feel so sad i hoped into it just 5 days before xam with my horrified NBME. When i visited this forum months before- i saw lot of heated arguments regarding various courses and i dint want to get into this... but i regret for missing the good part in this forum.. there may be many others who have missed this wonderful forum.
friends-- make this the best support community.. each one likes something and each one has the freedom to express.take it in a good sense than pulling each other.. if u r interested with some course/books- u urself consider the time/money u have and make a choice than asking somebody to make the choice.. i regret for not being a part of this forum from step 1.

anyway thanks to all those who encouraged me- pindi,oh my god,meduploader and all my dear friends!

above all- thank the lord for helping me through this Usmle journey and god bless u all!

keep in touch thro bethelcarmel
MY CCS TIPS:http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=390562
my ccs exam:http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=390527
day 1 experience:http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=388635
Congratzzz bethelcarmel
and thnx for this useful info...
u rockzz
bethcarmel

I flunked my step3. CAn you please suggest what books to read.
Congratzzz bethelcarmel
I am having trouble with 2nd line meds. Can you tell me approximately how many questions asked u for 2nd line drugs, or allergic to this med what to give then. is there a simplier way to memorize these???
thanks harry!

souji-
1.try reading uworld and first aid alone THOROUGHLY for 1 month .dont try new materials
2.take an NBME to assess if there is any improvement of your assessment bars by comparing with NBME and Usmle bars.
3.find a study partner for CCS exclusively and pratcise 5- 10 cases EVERYDAYYYYYYY! especially recent ones make notes//
4. we ll figure out a way if that does not work..email me..
hope that helps for now!
uflsu--

most questions are psych meds-- read kaplan step 1 pschy pharmac for that and step 2 ck infectious disease first 3 pages

if u can come online sometime-- may be we can discuss it online few mins... email me in that case
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »