Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
winter trip to the tropics with her infant - coolimg80
The mother of a 4-month-old infant is planning a winter trip to the tropics with her infant and asks about the use of sunscreens and the safe amount of sun exposure for the infant. Of the following, the MOST appropriate advice for the infant is to
A) apply waterproof sunscreen with a UVB SPF of 30 or greater at least every 30 minutes
B) avoid mid-day sun and apply sunscreen with a UVB SPF of 15 or greater
C) avoid all but incidental sun exposure because of decreased sweating and the risk of heat stroke
D) comply strictly with the use of physical sun blocks such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide paste
E) use only special sun-protective clothing
BB
ummm B ?? I guess!
can u let me know why you choose B
bb
mid day sun is the worse time to get exposed to the sun

thats why I choosed B

BUT from what i remember you need to reapply your sun screen every 30 minutes or so

that been said I will still go with B for now

any one has a definite answer?
I guess the answer is C. Two are two major rules: 1)SPF should be 30 or higher in order to be protective 2)No sunscreen before 6 mth because: a)high body surface to volume ratio b) impaired sweating mechanism
Here are the most latest recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics:

http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Sunsafety.htm

I am still with (B) because sun screen can be used in infants less than 6 months but in limited areas like hands and face.
i checked the recommendations and i found this

Sunscreen for babies
For babies younger than 6 months. Use sunscreen on small areas of the body, such as the face and the backs of the hands, if protective clothing and shade are not available.
For babies older than 6 months. Apply to all areas of the body, but be careful around the eyes. If your baby rubs sunscreen into her eyes, wipe the eyes and hands clean with a damp cloth. If the sunscreen irritates her skin, try a different brand or try a sunscreen stick or sunscreen or sunblock with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. If a rash develops, talk with your child™s doctor.

does that mean E is the correct answer
If it wasn't in the tropics, I would choose © first, but I don't think it will be a practical advice to avoid all sunlight in the tropics. Not sure though....

Do you have an answer coolimg ?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »