Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Categorical General Surgery - audrey
Hi guys, I wanted to get a feel for the kind of IMG candidates who matched in Gen Surg this year. I am applying in September for the 2010 match, & it would be helpful to know if my application is strong enough

It would be great to know :

your step scores e.g >90, >95 etc (no need for specifics)?

If you have a research background and publications?

How long ago/ what country you graduated med school from?

US clinical experience/ No of letters?

What state you matched into.

Hey Audrey
You asked plenty of specific questions. Let me give you a generic answer.

only a handful of IMG's match into cat spots in surgery - as I know of around 56-57 candidates last year - and probably much less this year. Meaning around 1 candidate per state in general. Although few states take more and many take none.

So, to get into general surgery - your application need to super-duper - to put it in indian terms!
If you ask me the numbers - it got to be as close to the maximum limit!
If you ask me anythng else - the more the merrier! still you are not guaranteed!

Despite all these - around 50 plus candidates match each year. You can see the exact numbers in nrmp.org
most of the applicants have a MS degree from the home country and yet are invited only for prelims. the conversion rate of preliminary surgery to cat is dismal .
Hi right_doc,

I remember you from some threads back about UK docs. I am also a UK grad. Did you match into categorical surgery this year?
Citalopram - the conversion rate is around 10%.
although most programs claim otherwise. I was attending an interview where they even sort of staged a drama there to attract guys....
The PC thought we are bunch of Idiots sitting there not knowign what they mean with their acts.

Yes, Audrey - by the grace of Almighty I did.
If you ask me personally - getting into prelim surgery is too dangerous - unless you dont mind doing IM or Anesthesia the following year.
right_doc

the 10% conversion rate is a general one for all prelims including the preliminary positions held by AMGs . for IMGs , its less than 5 %.

the stats which u just described, 57 cat positions per year, includes both candidates with prelims and MS degree.
Yes. You are right citalopram.

Even this MS thing is a double edge sword. In one place - they like you for your experience - so that they can relax a little more during nights.

In some, they dont like you cos you have been a good few years since your MBBS.
Citalopram
have you matched in cat spot this year?
lol.. i applied for im and did not match. i have a lot of close friends who did apply for surgery.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »