Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I being selfish? - doc0079
I didint match two times..My in laws showed thieir frustration clearly....I was delaying to tell them about the result but finally told them wht happened....so now my mom-in-law thinks nothing can happen with me...and she wants me to think about other career...my husband not saying anythin clearly but I can see his frustration too...whwnevr I call to my relatives ...same questions..same answers...now they ask '' if I ever get to practice as dcotor in India.... mu Inlaws want me to do job...any type of job and forget abt being doc may be.....may bethey are right but so far I have realized one thing tht If I ever wnt to do anything tht only medicine...there many personal reasons for me choosing medicne and was hardworking and lucky enough to get it by god grace...I came in states after marraige....now pl dont think tht I t was short cut to come here ( like many peoepl think doc marrying enjineer guy has only one purpose!)....anyway, when you fail peopl dont trust you anymore and thts wht ahppening to me and happened before...I am not going give up though.....but mind start thinking am being selfish?am I being stubborn tht about my goals?.....

I am sorry people this forum is supposed to post encouraging thoughts and by no means I dont want to discourage anybody......just thought tht only you people can understand my dilemma and pain so came here..........thanks for listening...god gave all of us enough strantgh to win this battle on all grounds!
no i don't think so it is selfishness but start doing any odd job for money,so u can apply easily,may i ask yr credentials,i did not match this year.
hey doc0079,

I salute your perseverance! May be you dint make it this time ..but Im sure if you can introspect what probably dint help you in getting through, and work on the shortcomings you can definitely match. And to me if you are living and working towards your dreams its not selfishness, but determination! Having said that just make sure you don't lose touch with the current scenario here with regard to competition and work judiciously towards your goals. Evaluate your credentials and work towards whats achievable and NOT something that may be very very tough or impossible! Never run out of back up options..and please don't consider your back up plans to be your loss/ shame, instead consider them to be an intermediate halt for a short while- on your journey to achieve the ultimate desiredSmile
Keep up the good work.. And just search this forum you will have ample motivation and experience to help yaSmile

Good luck in whatever you plan to do...
I was in the almost same situation too last year. This year is my third match and I finally matched. Don't lose hope. I would suggest you to try to find a job in a doctor's office, make some money while having USCE to strengthen your application. Family can be difficult but sometimes you have to learn not to care too much about what people say about you. I am lucky enough that God helped me to find the right job that helped me a lot with my application. Don't forget to talk to your husband. Even after matching, it takes a lot of understanding to move along with you especially if it is 3000 miles away with this kind of economic situation.
Thanks Matched09, you are right.I am on dependant visa,so trying for job is difficult task for me..but i am about to start on that seriously....thinking about mph...and trying not to think about not getting in medicine....Thanks, you lifted my spirit a bit.

happysoul123,

scores in low 80s, attempt on step 3,2003 grad, over a year lab research ,few months clinical research, a year observerships in subspecialty,need visa.......so even if i try to do odd jobs nobody is ready to give visa in this economy!.....Hope we both win this battle next year
Hey Sona81,

can I please ask about your visa status. What do you think you did differenlty this year which helped you to match.?..you are right I need to do externship which will hepl me but I dont know if private offices offer visas to work....
ya dont give up it is not the end, try to improve your personal statements and apply to various underserved specialities like combined med-ped and family med.
by the way, mph is apprevation of what and do it need a license? thnx.
Hi doc0079
I am in similar situation but have good scores but with multiple attempts on CS and step 3. not much in USCE.
I agree with sona. improve your cred clinically have good lors.
Apply with contacts that should help.
Hope someone in our situation matched this year help us.

monausmle
steventailor mate- just to correct ya.. MED PEDS is NOT underserved branch... its highly competitive!! FM, Psychi are the ones which you may call relatively easy to get into...
thnx for correction, what is mph?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »