Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re selecting candidates for residency - jojo2009
I am an internist at a residency program who selects candidates for residency thru ERAS , interviews them and works with the PD to determine who gets selected for residency .

Ours is a community program offering only J -1 and we would have a hard time recruiting AMG so most of our candidates are IMGs whether US citizens/GC/or foreigners .

We have a simple formula for selecting candidates . If 2 candidates have equal credentials and both want to come to our program we would prefer the citizen . GC as we would like to avoid visa issues . However if the foreigner is superior we will definitely select him as in the end what counts for us is the quality of the candidate. Simple formula isn't it ! : )
My friend and I applied in the same program. I have 92/93/pass/87 all first attempt. He has 82/80/pass all second attempts. We both has GC. Not to mention the personal statement that he uses is copy pasting from samples in google. Both of us has approximately 1 year of USCE with no other additional degree and he is older graduate than I do. Both of us never practice in our home country. However, he got more interviews than I do and he matched in his first choice of university program. What do you have to say about that? I do not think that credential is in anyway important in our case.
Sometimes candidates do have connections in the program . Out of the 4 candidates who were finally selected by my program from those whom i had interviewed 3 did have connections and we really had to push the PD hard to get them in . All GC by the way . Sometimes programs make deals with some candidates such as getting them to serve in the community after residency.

However it does matter how your interview goes. Once you are selected for an interview, all candidates are to some extent equal unless they have further connections in the program . If someone has great scores but was not liked by the PD or other interviewers he has no chance of getting in . That is why you have to have good interview skills , good english and come across as a sincere, nice and hardworking physician . Scores are important to get a interview but in the end its how you present yourself that counts.
very well said . once u get iv ur done with your cred . now it is how a person you are and how do u sell your self is more imp .
Does marital status matter? Especially if the program is located far away from our current living place.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »