Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
entry in usa for H1 visa holders - parveen
hi everybody,

is there any time limit for making entry into usa for h1 visa holders. I heard that u can enter only 10 days prior to starting ur contract date not before that. Does it mean ...not before 20 june ......
inputs will be highly appreciated.
thanks in advance.
that's correct!
Thanks mlegriller,

r u sure...but orientation will start from 22 june.....hows possible to arrange housing in 2 days...is there any way out..............i hope to get my visa stamped in mid april....
I know that is a problem but the H1 visa is effective from the program start date. And you can enter only 10 days before that.

The best I can suggest if you dont find a way is to check into an Extended stay hotel which charge by the week or month, as soon as you land and you can look for housing soon.
http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites might be useful for your housing search. you will find really affordable (shared) rooms for most places.
so you can enter only 10 days before?
is it valid for J1 visa too??

and what about visa interview?? can you give it any time or is there any optimum time for that too??
u can take interview appointment.
J1 holders can make entry i1 mth prior to contract start date.

H1 i m not sure about.
Well when you get the Visa, it has validity period on it? Anytime after the period you can get into US.

You cannot come before or after. Since H1B is employment based, and you will not be getting paid before you start working, so legally you cannot be here even a week without being employed.

I would suggest to ask your program after you have the H1B stamping.

And even though it might be a bit more expensive, I would suggest not to share apartment/room unless you know those folks and have met them in person. Check what people are joining at your program, you should have gotten info packet from your program anyways about who is joining that might be a better option.

Also check here www.murthy.com, it has a forum section where you can ask questions about legal issues like this.

Best of luck.

thanks docpc. I appreciate.
The lawyer can take the orientation start date as a beginning of employment, and you can come 10 days before the orientation.
Another sugestion - you can rent in advance an appartment for short period from students who leave for summer vacation, and then look for a long- term rental.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »