Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is IMGprep good for us ? - b_kooldoc
to PARSIFAL:

You may have misunderstood the thread here.

You cannot measure or equate finding an observership with finding a Residency.

One is a attribute (you may call it that but many PD's do not) to your resume (observing and doing nothing, trust me I know), and the other is an actual clinical position, i.e work!

dear meyer, obtaining an observership or a residency spot requires the same skill, namely convincing decision makers.
Dear Parsifal,

They are no way the same!!! Do the research, phone program directors.
How does it require the same skill? Elaborate please.

Yes obviously there is an application and selection process but by no means is it anywhere at the same level as obtaining a residency.

You can use Observerships to Supplement/Complement your application for Residency.

The stats are available, Given the following:
If your scores are excellent (first attempts), communication/fluency in English 100%, and your interview should be great (again obvious, no one picks mediocre interviewers), than having or not having an Observership, does nothing really to enhance your probability of attaining a given residency.

I thought this was common knowledge?

Real US Clinical Experience is not Observing.
Look it is really quite simple, Residency is a job, what would a PD prefer something with experience in watching or another who actually did work pertaining to the job?
dear meyer,

"They are no way the same!!! Do the research, phone program directors.
How does it require the same skill? Elaborate please."

i am not saying they are the same. all i am saying is that obtaining both obervership positions and residency spots requires the same skills: figuring out who is the real decision maker and convincing that person.
By what does it matter in an Observership?????

You only watch, so what decisions would you make?
That is why it is called OBSERVERSHIP - to observe.

If you watch someone fly an airplane, can you then fly any airplane based on that observation?

I reiterate, Observerships complement your resume, and of course may, variably, help with your application.

Figuring out who is decisive and who solves and treats appropriately is done by the interviewers and by review of your application as a whole.

Ultimately, let us state the most obvious,
PD's if have to make a choice based on two individuals whose credentials are the same except one has an Observership and the other REAL CLINICAL EXPERIENCE, ...
Come on, lets confront reality.
This is more so if you are an IMG.

Now if somebody can contribute to the real issue of IMG Prep...

I will answer the question since, I am using imgprep. I spent exactly 7,850 this did not include my home and travel I moved to chicago. I have a 3 month rotation it is in the teaching hospital and I have got over 4 letters so far because I work with different teams and the proffesors are friendly and they will write the letter if you ask. My scores are not bad but I failed my CS so I needed to do this and they have been very professional, I met the program director and the residents and worked with them I also did a presentation for them and they all attended. I do worry about my CS failure but my rotation is very good and I wanted to do this in a hospital so this is why I used this company, my senior recommended them and it was expensive but my kaplan courses were very expensive to this whole process is expensive what gets me is I email the program they say check our requirement on freida and even freida doesnt have the visa requirements.. but I had a good experience so far
My honest Opinion

Dont waste your hard earned money on these "SCAM" services . PDs know about them and they know very well which hospitals are on their list. They mostly give you rotations in third rated private clinics .

What you should do is try to search for physicians from your medical school, country, continent and request them to help you find a place in their own practices, universities , hospitals. Its would be a bit hard in the beginning but you have to either find a way or make one. USe your abilities and i am pretty sure all of u are gifted individuals so rely on yourselves and dont let these people fleece you of your and your families' hard earned money.

7800$ is WAY TOO MUCH..... You have lots of expenses ahead in the match so save for that time

A well wisher!!!!!
I HAD A VERY BITTER EXPERIENCE WITH Imgprep. THEY LIE ABOUT EVERYTHING, like strong lor, rotation in teaching hospital. THEY ARE SOO SHADY.
YOU DON'T HAVE ANY GUARANTEE THEY WILL DO WHAT THEY PROMISE.
so do not waste your money. This company, and their head
Just need your money.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »