Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you switch programs - cana
Hey just wondering what the protocol is. I know you can't switch before the first year, but after the first year you can?
Do you just call up programs you want and see if there is an opening?
thx
Anyone have an idea?
hi cana,
i think it depends on whether u want to switch speciality or just the hospital,then it also it depends on which type of programme u are currently in,categorical or prelim.i think if u are enrolled for matching u can look up programmes fitting your requirements and yes call them or apply.maybe it will help.
He Maggie,
Thanks for that.
What I wanted to do is switch from one categorical program into another at a different institution. I just did know if there was some kind of second match for empty positions or its just first come first serve if a spot happens to open up.
Hi cana

Are you an american ? If not what is your visa?
because I am in the same position and I want to chance from one combined program to a categorical, but the problem is that I will be with a J-1 visa.
Can you give your experience with this diferences?
thanks ssa
hi ssa

witch specialty combination u r in ???
Hi Jayu it is internal medicine/psyq.

Do you know if it is possible to chance to a diferent hospital and program?
I am willing to chane to IM categorical?

thanks ssa
hi cana,

i would like to ask you something- if you dont mind. this has a different theme altogether but i am asking this because i came to know that you are a canadian graduate.
i found at the rcpsc website that those who have cleared their usmle steps 1,2 and 3 are eligible to apply for residency in canada.
can you give me some idea about the good universities in canada, when they accept applications, and what is the process of application, what is the chance of an fmg getting in there- etc. i studied many sites but nowhere am i getting good , practical information for someone who is in my shoes.
thank you in advance.
very, very difficult for fmg. You cannot go into the first match, so you must compete in the second match for what is left over. You need pass the canadian exams I believe (even you pass the US ones). Not hard though. You should go the carms website www.carms.ca and you will find all the info you need. But it is very hard to come for residency. fellowship maybe easier. unless of course you want family med . then it depends where you want to go. many places will leave many spots empty rather than take an fmg. thats just what it is like here. There were only 2 internal spots left after the 1st match, and they will go to canadians, just a 3-4 surgery spots.
Anyother Idea Thanks
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »