Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can anybody help me?? - dave
Hi, I am a US citizen, ECMFG certified, 76/76 2 attempts each, have some research experience....few months experience in private doc's office doing histories and physicals...I had 5 interviews and didn't match....No luck in scramble. Can anyone tell me what else I can or should do?? PLEASE?????? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dave
get out of the MD private office and go into university hospital, try to get a research position with Family practice, this is your best chance. Get connected. I do not think you have a chance for anything else, although everything is possible. I did research for 3 years have 30 publishings and and a book chapter, but my scores were not impressive. I do not know what are you interested in, but sorry to say will low scores and attempts, your choices are FP or peds or psych, I hope I am wrong, but GL to you
graftmd
Thanks for your response Graftmd. Actually, I am interested in IM, but I don't mind FP if thats what i have to do. You said u did lots of research, did it help u get into a residency? I have some research experience, but no publishings. I have heard stories of people in my position getting into IM, but I don't know how they did it. I am not sure about doing fellowship even if I do get into IM. I don't know my chances for that either with my scores. Does anyone think that doing well on step 3 might help my step 2 score look better? Any other ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and GL to everyone!
Yes step 3 will increase your chance, but this year 5% of spots were open for scramble. In my case research help me a lot. I have a friend who did research as well and applied for IM, with scores upper 70's or low 80's I am not sure, and did not get anywhere, he has to do the research again for 1 year. it may or may not help you dipends where you apply and for what speciality. I will be doing FP and initially I was going for surgery then IM, but for 2 years no luck, so now I am happy I got FP.
Dave. there is a FP spot in sw Oklahoma Family mEdicine Residency. I was there. They Invited me but they did not accepted me due my visa issues.
TEl 580 248 4797 ext 19
580 248 5348 fax
Sec. Ballou Dorothy.
I hope this help you.
Thanks for your response Graft. I am looking into trying to do an externship somewhere or another, have any ideas about that? Otherwise, I may just do step 3. I need to put something in my CV when I have to apply again in September! Otherwise I will have a gap in my CV which is not good. I still want to try for IM, don't mind where as long as I can do IM. Not even concerned about fellowships. Any other help/advice would be great. GL.
Andres, thanks for the help, but the Oklahoma residency program says they require 80 or above which I don't qualify for, plus they aren't taking any more applications. Thanks for the information though. GL to you!
Dave,

graft is right - the only way for you to get into residency is to meet people - when you make good connections - scores are not as imortant

however, I would suggest not to go univ hospital, but to the place where you realistically can get into a program, probably a program with a lot of IMGs, but the one that actually doesn't sponsor visas - do some research - attend the grand rounds - study for step3 in their library

you may need 1 year, but after a year - you'll know everyone in the program and everyone will know you - if you are well liked - noone is going to care about score especially if the program not very competetive

good luck

Dave how many programs did u apply too.?
Atimes this is a game of numbers. The more the number of programs u apply to , the greater the number of interviews u get and the better ur chance of getting a program.
I don't think step 3 will have any effect on ur status, u are a US citizen.Step 3 makes pple look better when they require H1b.
I would say observership+ application to many programs.
Hi everyone...Thanks for all of your advice. I applied to about 160 programs, 2/3 were FP and 1/2 for IM. I checked their requirements and only applied to those whose requirements i met. So I can safely say I did my research on that part. I know I can do much better on Step 3 because the reason why I didn't do so hot on steps 1 & 2 was due to a family member getting severely ill. Of course that doesn't matter in a PD's eyes. My reasoning is that if I can do well on step 3, it shows that i am improving instead of looking like I am not improving at all. It might help, but I am not sure. Thank you to everyone who have given me suggestions/ideas. GL to you all! Anymore info./ideas would be greatly appreciated.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »