Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
baby and residency - usmle_step2
I have passed step1 and will take step 2 in May. I think I will make 2006 match. But I really want to have a kid considering I am already 31. Is it possible that I go for interviews during my pregancy. Then join the residency program with a 3-month baby? Has any female doctors had done this? Or I should just wait till 2007 if I get pregnant? Sigh...clock is ticking from each and every aspect of life....

Thanks!
thats a difficult one!! no seriously! i have a one year and believe me,it takes lot of attentions, but nothing is impossible, so that really depends on you!!
hi usmlestep2,
Take your exam in May.But if u r planning for a kid now,meaning due could be around March or after.How will u fly all over for ur interviews,being pregnant?And then with a 3 month old baby or even smaller to take care of..my suggestion to u is if u have good help,say ur mom,mother in law etc who could stay with u for a while then maybe u can go ahead.if its not possible for them to,i suggest that u can go for 2007.thats my plan also..thats why i wanted to let u know how i feel n u can do the same if u like the idea.it will be a good 1 yr off from it all n u can also do an observership,catch up on stuff that u want to etc n apply for 2007 leisurely..well,thats my opinion on this..but like kamy said,if u want to try for residency in 2006 and have a kid..then,nothing is impossible..if u really want it.its bets to have a kid before u start residency..cos its hard during residency and we gte too old after..so good timing..good luck to you!Smile
I was exactly in the same position.. i don't adive you to go while u r pregnant, I was 7-8 months pregnant, I got prematch but in the same time, I was tired...and all the programs asked me about my plans with the baby...plus, studying is also harder while u r pregnant, do ur intervies then become pregnant immediatly afterthat, when u will start ur residency, u will be aleady pregnant and they can't do anything about it. I won't say that theprograms take it against you but they will ask you about the baby and your plans.

I took step 3 while I was pregnant, it was okBUT step 2 is much more important than step 3 so u have to becareful.
The othr thing that u have to consider that complications might happen.
At least go to the interviews while nobody know about ur pregnancy...
You can wait one year instead of losing it.
YOu can wait.. don't rush!

wait for a year, my friend's wife decided to wait - took it easy, did some research, strengthen application and matched this year without a problem ( with low scores ), she is starting in July and the kid is 1.5 old now...

work can wait - and you will really enjoy spending time with your kid...
hi everybody,
i have the same dilemma!!!!!!!!!i have decided for the 2007 match and in the meantime plan a baby,if its successful the baby will be a year and rew months by the time i join my residency,but then i have doubts about the likelihood of the baby getting to the states with me!!!!! any ideas?with the probability of getting a j1 wot are the chances of j2 for dependents?i am an img.
usmle_step2 i, know of people who have attended interviews & matched while being in third trimester..either ways u decide,there is some difficulty that u have to put up with..This is a problem that we l women face in our profession..but ur USMLE scores play an important role,so dont take chances with that.ur career is equally important as ur baby.finish your step-2 &then get pregnant..since first trimester is the toughest time of pregnancy,dont allow it to fall duri ng ur step-2..after that if u get pregnant,u can attend interviews..if the programs dont mind,they will take u.u have no problems after that except with the care of baby.if they dont take u,take it as gods decision &wait till next year match which will buy u sometime for the care of baby too..

Maggie,u have sufficient time to plan for a baby..J2 should nt b a problem for any dependent..as such visa is not a problem for any dependent specially a baby.

Iam in the same boat..need to plan for a baby..I will b completing 29 in a few months.I am starting my residency in a reasonably busy program(where i have heard that people have delivered during residency) from june..I plan to wait till i complete PGY1 & plan a baby in my 2nd year.if things go well,I will be delivering by the end of 2nd year r the beginning of 3RD year so that I can get the help of my parents & in laws & nanny in 3rd year till I complete.I really dont know how feasible it is to have a baby in 2nd year..this is my residency for the 2nd time..i dont feel that i have enough age left to wait till i complete my residency.off late Iam feeling very concious that Iam running out of time to have a baby.Can someone witha similar experience share your opinion.
Thanks in advance.
medindia u r sure right! to the point and I am planning the same as u, i already have a 4 months baby.. need lot of care all the time, so am planing for 3rd year residency baby, at the end of my residency, so I can take a vaccation and spend it with my baby. It is not easy at all so you need to plan it very well... don't take chances with step 2, thescores are VERY important.
step3 man ,thanks for those comforting words.u really gave me a lot of courage.Its bad that we have to think so much about issues which r such basic needs for anybody in life.When i tend to think on the negative consequences that can happen,I really get to panick.I wish that things go well with all of us.Good luck.
Hi to all,
It's important to have a baby before u turn 30-32 atleast ,thats what i feel..as u grow older,it gets harder..there may be some people out there who may say it was easy for them even tho they were older,but then,not all of us r made the same..some people r stronger than the others n u never know how it is for u until u face it! 2nd yr is a good time to have a baby also,i have heard since u r less worked out than the first yr.and u can take 6 months off uunpaid n make up for it later.but for all those who havent started residency,then its best to have a baby before u start!n then start it.working and making money can wait..its not the most important thing in life.good luck to all.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »