Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question - docabc
A 37-year-old woman comes to the physician because of an itchy rash over her trunk for 2
weeks. She has not had fever, chills, shortness of breath, chest pain, or gastrointestinal symptoms.
She has a history of recurrent urinary tract infections and has been taking trimethoprimsulfamethoxazole
prophylaxis for the past year. She is in mild distress. Her temperature is 37.5 C
(99.5 F), blood pressure is 96/62 mm Hg, pulse is 78/min, and respirations are 14/min.
Examination shows a maculopapular erythematous rash over the trunk. Laboratory studies show:
Leukocyte count 10,500/mm3
Segmented neutrophils 72%
Bands 1%
Eosinophils 15%
Lymphocytes 4%
Monocytes 8%
Serum
Urea nitrogen (BUN) 12 mg/dL
Creatinine 0.9 mg/dL
Urine
WBC 2/hpf
RBC 2/hpf
Which of the following is the most likely cause of these findings?
A
) Eczema
B
) Medication adverse effect
C
) Staphylococcal skin infection
D
) Streptococcal skin infection
E
) Urinary tract infection
i wud go with d..
bb
i think it is b .. no signs of infection ..
temp is 99.5 and the BP is low why
dont you have a key ?
many answers are in the key are wrong so i am trying to solve them one by one
I went through other forums .. it seems that the answer is B
first of all if its nbme q then dude plz........

and secondly pt has been taking tmp smx since a yr...medication side effect cant be after a year
so we are left with any other cause for eosinophilia..and in this conttext wat do u say abt eczema guys???
ohh,I cant believe,docabc..can u plz clarify whether this is an nbme qn so that we wont touch ur next questns

hey harsh..rash is not typical of eczema..My diagnosis is drug induced interstitial nephritis which has classic triad of fever,eosinophilia and rash.Also drug ind.nephritis develops months after starting rx which is the case here.staph and stepto are not probable as there is eosinophilia
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »