Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my suggestions to all CS taking doctors - csusa2009
Dear Friends,,,I had taken my exam a month back.I started preparing for step 1 myself so couldn't help u much guys.Although my results are not yet out, i definetly can suggest u few things.

First of all this exam never goes like u read in books.There is no hard and fast rule that U have to do this and u have to do that.Use your conscience and try to be as humble as possible and display the best manner as much as u can.How is that? Here is what I did exactly....

1.I didn't forget knocking in any case.
2.Entered with smile...and asked...Hello Mr.Bawl....Did I address you correctly...guys ask this question even to Mr. Smith...coz Make sure that first u call patient correctly....U don't use his/her name many times...U just use once and pls use it correctly.
3. Then I said..My name Dr.xyz....Today we gonna talk abt the problem u are presented with...for that I will ask few questions to u and do a quick pE...is That ok.....

4...Then I said,,,,Ok..I understand that U have come to the hospital with knee pain...Is that right?

5.Ok...Then Can U tell me a little bit more about it so that I can understand you better. Sure

6.or What U wanna know doctor????I said....like When did start? how did it start??How it is affecting your life...etc...then your LIquarr...Pamhugs foss....etc
I finished many of the histories in 5 mins.

7.I did PE within 2/3 mins

8. I did counselling much more than any component

9.always washed hands....

10..came out of the room just after 5 mins warning..

11.spent a lot of time in PN...corrected spellings and even full stops because of extra time///

12. Pls don't think there...whatever comes in ur mind, ask immediately..don;t look like a confused doctor....

tiny little mistakes. don't care abt those...move forward....for eg,. forgot to pull leg rest....not a big deal..say I am sorry I forgot it....

I draped all patients....I quickly noted few points..without much of the patient's knowledge
I stood...didn't sit ..I feel like lazy doctor doing that...standing is more easier....

offered water to coughing patient...helped..sit up.. lie down..and stand...

don't overact..do naturally...u don;t have to say sorry to each and every symtompts....Instead..say like...Ya I can understand it has been a hard time for you....but I will try my best to help u..don't worry now....
spend much time before Patient encounter and come early....to reinforce ur patient writing...

u don't have close tap by paper..ridiculous...that's not operation theatre ...

Good luck
if any queries pls ask me..I can suggest you....But I am not an expert though.Thank u
hey,csusa2009..thanks a lot...ur post is very encouraging..but could u finish examination in 2-3mins? hws that possible? any advice abt that..plz
hello csusa2009
what did u counsel the pt for such a long period
ya its true that counselling is most imp part
but in fa i see hardly 4 -5 sentences for each case
i forgot to wash hands for 4 cases and ran out of time for another 4 (no closing),
couldnt diagnose 3 cases.( paperwork went all wrong for DD,workup)
i seem like a hopeless case....really upset.
any advice? please....
Thanks, csusa2009. It's encouraging and very helpful. I think everyone should read this one.
thanks, csusa2009. your description is really helpful and encouraging.
hi
Guys....I am still waiting for the result...I don't know what will happen to results...But...I had enjoyed this exam.Certainly I had made few mistakes but not that stupid blunders...I did very few PE....just focussed on the system concerned....for eg if it was abdominal pain....I didn't even listen to chest in 1 case...which I wa supposed to...
Guys...I had practised 3 months....all those things didn't come out of the blue...UW twice...FA many times....I wrote PN everyday at least 5 cases...in 10 mins time..so every day i took as exam day./..I practised with my relative...may be 20 cases in front...even washed hands during practise....Initially I used to take so much of time...slowly I became too fast than actually required.....in exam....I had exact idea of how I am gonna handle this patient...coz everything was in FA...typical cases....I was much more relaxed...even enjoyed food there...pls don't try to cover everything in history...cut short it..just OPDSFC....PAMHUGS FOSS.....LIQOAAR..or whatever...just use those mnemonics...it's not that u write them in paper and ask one by 1..No never..intergrate them in your mind...i didn't write menemonics outside...those things were in my mind already....pls write patient information correctly....that's very imp...CC..Name....Age....etc....vitals...if any abnormal...when u stand in front of the door...spend some time pls......may be 2 mins...wouldn't kill you..think...take deep breath...think that ..I can make it....relax...write Patient information...knock 2/3 times...enter...with smile....hello Miss...Jessica....did I address u correctly...yes doc..Ok...So...My name is Dr.XYz...I am one of the physicians working here...nice to meet u...shake hands....May be not in shoulder pain and hand pain as people say...I didn't get such complications......etc etc....

Counsel smoking alcohol during HX....even diet exercise...if u postpone it to the end...u are likely to forget it...and u regret when u come out...So...I smoke...2 packs per day....Well Miss Jessica...have you ever tried to quit smoking,,,,Ya but,,it's hard u know....That;s right...I can understand how hard it is .but the important thing is u are motivated for it...which is Good itself....we can allocate a separate time for it.. coz we hace some wonderfrul smoking cessation programs in hospitall.and Oh yes...many have successful quit..etc...oh really doc...etc etc.....

and Friends....One thing...if u don't understand any word of the patient..u can ask..can U say that again pls...still didn't understand,.,,forget it guys....move ahead...pretend that U understood it..sometimes u may not understand cretain medication their words...surely..u will have that problem...the tricky part is.....damm care it...move ahead...how abt PN....don't write it...nothing big gonna happen...but remember...understand Chief complain well...it's not that u write sth else....etc etc...................I am tired....any qs....pls
I learned everything in skype Online practise and Live practise....thanks
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »