Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re couples match-want honest opinions please - doctor31
I have 99 in step 1, finished CS, and am taking step 2 shortly, have MRCP from UK and 4 years training in UK.
My husband has scores 80 in step 1, step 2 78, step 3 80, and 1 month US observership with 1 US LOR. BOTH of us are IMGs

We are in a big dilemma if we sd go for couples match or not,

please please give ur sincere, honest opinions and suggestions, ur discussions will help us make a decision,
thanks a lot
forgot to mention both of us are trying for IM
I have heard time and time again from others that the match for couples is 90%. A firend of my was applying for FM and during his interview he mentioned that his girlfriend was also applying and they called her for an interview as well and both got accepted to the program. FM being easier than IM though. You may want to call and ask some of the progams you want to apply or look up statistics for couple match.
Don't go for couples match. Your creds are not equally strong and might end up not matching at all. Better to apply as many as you can in the same geographical area and do the ranking accordingly. Anyway, you can decide based on the interviews that you get. If both of you happen to receive a lot of IVs from the same hospital, you might consider that, but still, in my opinion, not safe enough. Match can be very unpredictable.
i wil just paste my reply from other thread

most of PDs will support couples especially hospitals with multiple specialities, especially if each one was applying to different specialities but this is not a must. last year my colleagues followed this method, they were applying couples fm-ped, surgery/prelim surgery-obyn and im-fm. all of them matched (5 couples). 2 couples in Texas, 1 in Tennessee,1 in Louisiana and 1 in Missouri. Usually underserved regions will attract the couples because of the hope that they might get greencard after residency.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »