Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME 1 B1 Q 38-39, kindly explain thanks everyone - irvinedawg
38. A 32-year-old woman comes to the physician because of vaginal discharge for 2 weeks. She has been sexually active with one female partner for 5 years. She has not been treated with antibiotics over the past 2 years. Her last Pap smear was 6 years ago when she was sexually active with a male partner. She has not used illicit drugs or alcohol. Examination shows a grayish vaginal discharge with a pH greater than 4.5. A wet mount preparation of the vaginal discharge is most likely to show which of the following?

A) Budding yeast

B) Clue cells

C) Ferning

D) Leukocytes in sheets

E) Trichomonas vaginalis

39. A 57-year-old woman with breast cancer comes to the physician because of increasing neck pain over the past 3 days. She has fallen frequently because of muscle weakness. Vital signs are within normal limits. Examination shows hyperreflexia of all extremities. There is tenderness over the cervical spine. Serum calcium level is 11 mg/dL. X-ray films show metastases to the cervical spine. Which of the following is the most appropriate next step in management?

A) Application of a soft cervical collar

B) Physical therapy

C) Mithramycin therapy

D) Tamoxifen therapy

E) Spinal cord decompression and cervical stabilization
B) Clue cells ( gardnerella)
A) Application of a soft cervical collar then trt hypercalcemia
for 38.. ph is less than 5..that means either physiological or candida , but no itching..so i think CCC
clue cells
sofr collar
Cony for gardnerella PH > 4.5. ( >5= trichomonas).
Cony, i think 38 is Gardnerella as well because of grayish vaginal discharge and PH.

39. can u explain please?

thanks in advance
You all may be right, but these are my ans.

ccc?...... PH < 5... I think UW
EEE.......feared cord compression... Hyperreflexia etc.
aaaa (thats what I meant in the last reply) Not ccc........PH < 5... I think UW?
Palpitation you 're right for the second Q neuro sign ( hyperreflexia of all extremities...need decompression+ stabilization.
yep^it is E spinal decompression+ stabilization.

for the first one it is Gardnerella ( grayish discharge + PH > 4.5, ....> Clue cells.
Dream Is grey discharge specific for Gardnerlla. I don't know, but if it is then it's her.

I picked my answer based on frequency(candida is MC). All 3 can have PH >4.5. Actually the other 2 mouth fulls have PH even > 5, where as candida has PH > normal but less than 5?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »