Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old FMG MD/Phd - lzmdphdfmg
I guess I am an old IMG... here is my situation and request for advice...

I am a FMG (China). I have MD (China) & PhD (US top 25 Univ) with 3 first author publications (2 in US). I graduated from Med School 10 years (1999). I have been continuously in grad school Master, PhD & Post Doc Fellow since with no gaps. I have 3 first author publications (all US), most recent is Lung Cancer Clinical Research. I have numerous other research presentations. My USMLE scores Step 1 - 224 / Step 2 (CK) - 232 / Step 2 (CS) - Pass (all first attempts). My only US clinical experience is 4 weeks of observation at University Hospital cancer ward. I am married to US citizen and have a Green Card. I believe my weaknesses are 10+ years out of Med School & lack of US clinical experience. I will have 3 US LOR, 2 research based and 1 research & clinical based from US Docs. I am interested in Internal Medicine Residency at a good University program. What are my chances? What "level" of University programs would may qualifications appeal to? All responses are appreciated.
lzmdphdfmg, I have similar creds as yours,
Date of Graduation 1999
Step1 250/99
Step2 248/99
Step2 CS Pass, 1st attempt
Visa EAD
ECFMG certificate May 2009
USCE 4 months observership in a university hospital, 2 LoRs from shadowed physicians
Research: US PhD with several journal publications, 2 LoRs from PhD and Postdoc advisers

I also aim at IM, but won't hold my breath for a good university program. I will be thanking God if I get into any program as the competition is getting more and more ferocious. Of course it's a different story if you have connections.
lololol showing off...but good luck, i am older.
Same situation, 35 publications, 10 first author all high ranking... Does it make any difference other than increasing the paper needed to print your CV?
It does make a BIG difference if you have top papers. What I understand is that outstanding track record will help you tremendously when you apply for a fellowship later on. Look at how many programs out there are bragging about the fellowship placement of their residents.
How to use this to one's advantage during applications. One can put it in PS, CV and some LORs. However, how does one ensure that the application makes it past the screening?
I don't think any PD will use publication record as a part of screening criteria. But they will take a closer look at them on your CV during the interview and ranking process.
That's my point too. Our applications may become competitive once the PD opens them, however it's important to get them past the screening process which unfortunately may be skewed against us.

Sorry... wasn't attempting to sound boastful. Just trying to manage my efforts and establish realistic expectations to ensure a success match. I would be more confident with my credentials applying for a specialized fellowship... than the more generalized residency. For example I am told by PD that I am a very strong candidate to return to Univ of Colorado for Oncology Fellowship... but no need to apply for IM Residency.
So, he meant that you do not stand a chance for IM residency?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »