Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CCS: cellulitis in leg - mattlee
UW states that pt should be put on IV fluid, normal celine. in their Approach, they did not order regular diet. pt stayed in the hospital for 2 days. i am just wondering why the patient with leg cellulitis can not have regular diet. they only receive normal celine for 2 days. isn't that a problem?
ok, i found that actually they did let order reguar diet. but the question is since they can eat their regular diet, why should we still give them normal celine?
what is the BP?

BP was fine.

also the blood culture was negative. they continued to give IV antibiotics, when discharge, they continue to give pt oral antibiotics. just wonder why?
cellulitis........sepsis.............septic shock............NS iv
blood culture negative doesnt mean you dont treat cellulitis WHICH IS CLINICAL DIAGNOSIS

ANY INFECTIONS START EMPIRICAL ANTIBIOTIC IV AND AT THE TIME OF DISCHARGE ORAL
but blood culture x3 were all negative
again cellultitis is clinical diagnosis.
I wanted to answer the poster's question from 8/22/9 12:34. In UWorld Case 27, a 40-year old previously health man presents with leg cellulitis. His temperature is 39.5 C (103.1 F), he is tachycardic (HR 110) with BP 110/64. The patient denies nausea/vomiting in the "Initial History." There are no signs of dehydration on physical examination & his mucous membranes are moist. Serum sodium within the first hour of presentation is 139 mEq/L. UWorld's "Clock Management" for the case starts him on BOTH IV NSS 0.9% and normal diet when he is admitted.

Although I could not find a specific U.S. guideline for the use of IV fluids in cellulitis, I believe that ordering BOTH NSS and normal diet is not indicated in this case. See, e.g., http://medicine.ucsf.edu/education/resed...ts/ivf.pdf, which suggests that IV fluids should only be started in euvolemic patients if they are NPO or are likely to be NPO.

Thank you!
I think , it depends how bad the cellulitis is ; some time if it is very bad ,you start the iv abx and nss for prepartion of debridement which can be done under anesthesia, so it might be a preparation for the surgical procedure, generally these cellulitis pt are DM pt and the cellulitis are so bad and they continously come for debridement, I am just guessing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »