Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State license before residency ??? - rav
Hello all ,
I heard that many states require a license before starting a residency and the programs would apply for your license in those states a few months prior to start. You have to get that before applying for H1. The state medical boards will usually verify your credentials by sending the documents to your medical school again.

I was wondering what documents will the state medical board send to my med school.Is it just the diploma?

Any IMG who has had to go through with this kindly respond.

Thanks in advance
They have a form that u have to fill out and paste a photo on which will be sent for verification. U should call ur state board and ask if they need this verification for temporary licence that u will be applying for. Most boards dont need it right now, need only for permanent licence. I skipped the verification step for louisiana. u might be able to do that as well
A full medical license cannot be issued until you have finished 1-3 years of residency and passed Step 3. What your talking about is the training permit which you will need before starting residency. Each state has different requirements, some have a simplified process for permits, some require the forms from your medical school. Similarly each state will have different requirements for how much paperwork they need you to complete before you can take Step 3 (which is administered through the state medical boards). Check the website for your state for details. It can be found at:

http://www.fsmb.org/members.htm
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »