Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for IMGs seeking RADIOLOGY RESIDENCY in US - zippydaddy
Hopefully, this will be helpful to those thinking of writing USMLE with radiology plans

Those without radiology residency at home country:

Very difficult at this point to get any spot, but things may change in couple of yrs, as it is expected that the salaries of radiologist will go down, and hence the competetion with AMGs. You should have 98-99 score in both steps, US research experience, 3-4 publications, home clinical experience in that order. First three are essentials. Usually, if u do research in radiology dept in usa, the same dept will absorb u but due to crunch in funding, the research spot is hard to get. So the other option is to get publications in RSNA (radiology) journals while you are in ur home country or US. Get access to nearest radiology dept and you will find a lot of unusual(data) cases, series, with residents and consultant. Ask them if u can help them in writing the stuff. They will sure say yes as the most common reason of that data laying unused is the laziness or lack of time on behalf of the radiologists. Getting publication is more important than scores. I swear, if you have 95 score in steps and have 10 publications, you got it. Next hurdle is the visa. Nowadays program offer only J1 for radiology. Take it if you have no other option. There are reasonable number of J1 waiver job around in VA medical center and underserved hospital (dont equate third world rural area with american under served area). Infact country side america is more beautiful and peaceful to live. You will have state of art equipments and services in these areas. Even if you have to go back to your home country for 2 yrs, there is a option of working for US hospital from your home country, doing teleradiology. So get US salary in your home country.

Those with radiology residency at home country:

More options, for these guys. Scores in USMLE are least important. need publication and research experience. Better chances of getting residency, if u do research under some big name in radiology in US. Otherwise..... read next

Radiology is the only branch I am aware of where you can get Radiology Boards without doing residency in US. Check ABR (american board radiology) website and go to IMG section. Its very informative. So if have done 2-3-4 yr radiology residency (diploma, MD, DNB), you can directly apply for a fellowship in any section of radiology. Fellowship are much easier to get, are paid 20% higher than residency. Do good job in fellowship and get three yr extension, satisfying ABR criteria. There is a very high chance that you can become a instructor or Asst Proff in second yr of stay in the same program. It happens only in RADIOLOGY. While you choose this alternate route of getting ABR certification (equalent to MD Radiology), be careful about three issues. 1. Check the particular state's requirement for granting medical license. Some state need you to get training for 3 yrs minimum in US before u r eligible to get a permanent license ( that means you cannot become attending or sign report on your own till 3 yrs i.e. big loss money wise). 2. H or J visa. If u r on J1 visa, u can never be attending and cannot do extra moonlighting. SO dont compromise on visa. Ask for H1 visa. But if get J1, still can survive. 3. final point is that the ABR requires that all fellowship or attendingship or instructorship should be in same institution. This means that you have to be on ur toes all 4 yrs, show sincerety. This becomes difficult, if u r on J1 visa as u cant become instructor as per ECFMG rules.

Bottom line: Start writing papers, do networking, Scores are not the only requirement. If you have already done radiology residency at home country, You dont have to do radiology residency or obtain ABR certificate to be a attending in Radiology section in USA.

ABR won't help you in getting fellowship or residency. Its a regulatory body which determines your eligility to sit for exams
hello, how i can get in contact with u i really in need for ur advice regarding Radiology i have read ur informative advice, i hope u still check this forum
would u please email me on luvu.anosh so i can explain to u more inn detail

may god bless u
if one of your seniors is in somewhere, and is doing great you'll do it.
Great review, keep it on. Also inaddition, you need to know to which programs you apply. Go to the applicantguide website and get the radiology IMG friendly list from there.
Would definitely like to know how to get into some radiology related research
@rocksameer4u try to email program directors or other professors in university based programs especially in Texas, massachusetts, Ohio, Michigan and newyork.
@viki26 are you planning to apply to radiology, do you have any research?
am already in radiology residency/prelim surgery, not much reseach, but i uapplied to all the img friendly radiology programs last year as stated above.
Wow thats great, so nice to hear that can i talk to you, i wanted to ask some details can you please give me your email
Actually on applicant guide they have converted the free radiology list to a payable one so thats why wanted to contact you, plus if u can guide me that would be great help
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »