Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for IMGs seeking RADIOLOGY RESIDENCY in US - zippydaddy
Agree with the original poster. Competition for Radiology residency is particularly keen for obvious reasons. But things might change for the better or bad, who knows.

Preparing for radiology residency needs very good planning. As indicated, Scores, Research, compelling personal statement and excellent overall error free application. As to the IMG friendly programs, there are many that truly are IMG friendly. But things change time to time. Cant rely on a list for previous match. Here is the best strategy: APPLY to ALL PROGRAMS, if your financial permits. If you cant, be more selective in removing elite university programs from your list.

The funny thing about IMG friendliness is that it can change at any time point. For eg, Mayo Clinic in Rochester never interviews IMGs for residencies, even if they do, they would just 2-3. I was lucky enough to interview there in 2009. Not suggesting there is a good probability of matching there. Well there isnt at any program. What if they like you they will match you. So would you say dont apply to Mayo? I would say NO, provided you have a very very strong profile and are a very well rounded applicant.

Dream well. Plan well. Execute Plans well. You will match. I would not have chosen any other field other than Radiology.

P.S: I matched at a top university radiology program in the country in 2010 match.
@blackjack- Thanks for being back i have read your posts before, you are the one
who got into prelim and then applied radiology next year i guess if i can remember
I may be wrong, but thanks that was helpful , i wanted to know about getting into research
I have an observership at cleveland clinic this july in rads do u thnk that can help me?
Your observer experience will only help but dont bank on it to get into radiology. For research opportunities, try this link http://projectreporter.nih.gov/reporter.cfm. First identify which filed you want to do research in. Then identify key words that will return projects and the PIs that got awards from NIH from there. Then look at the results an identify a list of young investigators and write a concise 300 word email attaching a research statement and resume seeking voluntary / paid research opportunities. Also check on pubmed whose lab churned out most papers last year. Also check when NIH funding renewal/expiry is pending. Often times, if a project has not been renewed and the person churns out lot of papers very likely he/she will apply for renewal. so, target projects that are a year away from expiry for NIH funding. The reason: PIs will publish hard to get most papers before they apply for grant extensions. You will benefit as a result if you happen to get more papers. Go and join PIs that publish more in average journals than few high profile journals like Cell, Nature, Science. More papers on resume looks better than 8 th author on 1 nature paper. Trust me Volume SIMPLY WORKS!
Gosh thanks so much man you really made my day
@blackjack- Dude i had a question for you. I am being offered an out of match
position starting this July, my question to you was if i accept this program and start
residency in internal medicine will it be a very big issue transferring to a radiology
residency later. Please advice i tried talking to several program coordinators out of
which 70% have told me there wud definitely be issues and 30% have told me they
would be happy accepting and interviewing graduates like me, i am in a dilemma right
now.
sameer, It is not a good idea to do Internal Med categorical in hope that you can transfer to Radiology at some time point. There are several reasons why it is not a good idea:

1. Medicaid - This is the government organization that funds residency training. They DONT sponsor 2 residencies (that have >2 year training) for one person. That is just the policy you cant find a way around. Let us say even if you did, your sponsoring program should pay you from their pocket. Now, why would any program in the US would be willing to pay for residency training for an IMG. I just dont see how that would be possible.

2. Commitment to a specialty - Let us say you even find a program that is willing to pay out of pocket for your radiology residency. The selection committee would find it hard to believe your commitment to radiology. It become obvious that you either did not match in the your first try and put IM as a back and you ended up matching in IM and you are trying for radiology again. Remember that residency selection committee sees hundreds of applications every year and it is almost impossible to convince them, but there are exceptions. But if i were you, I would not bank on it.

Because of these reasons, even when i had great IM interviews at duke, Emory i did not rank them during my first match. only ranked prelim and Radiology programs. Ended up matching to prelim and not radiology. But did match next time around!

Your situation is more of if you really want to do Radiology badly, bad enough that you are willing to go unmatched for 1 or worse 2 years and concentrate on publishing papers.

Hope this helps!
Ya i get the point , thanks that was great help
When preparing for Radiology Residency...must check out www.mudpiles.com....hundreds of radiology cases in powerpoint format. MSK, chest, peds, nucs, neuro...Check it out.
For Applicants interested in Radiology Observership and Research we now have observership placement at University Hospitals in NYC. Research experience is also available with pending projects in areas such as Nuclear Medicine, Vascular and Interventional Radiology and Radiology education with opportunities for abstract presentation at major radiology conferences. Enrollment in the research elective is contingent on enrollment in an observership. One preceptor is currently seeking applicants to help with data collection, and manuscript drafting for 4-5 active projects with great potential for presentation/publication. Interested applicants should email our program coordinator at coordinator@medobserverships.com and ask to speak with our research coordinator who can discuss details of available projects on the phone.

Jax Stevens
Assistant Program Coordinator
MedObserverships
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »