Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conditional green card - cardio80
I have a question about conditional green card .. When applying for residency do I apply as green card or something else. As I don't know the options they give while applying for residency.. And will this conditional green card be a help for residency as i wont need any visa from the universities? Thanks
well Green Card is always a big help. On the application itself, there is a space to fill in all the info about your conditional GC.

BUT - I also have a conditional GC, because I have only been married for less than 2 yrs... and I just said I had a normal GC (did not tell them it was conditional). I don' t know if it is a big deal... I did that because next year, when I start the residency I will have it. But nobody ever even checked... so u can go ahead and do the same.

It helps a lot not to need a visa. You will get more interviews than other people with the same credentials.... but, afterall, it is the whole package that matters: good scores+GC+US clinical experience.

from what I have heard, it is very expensive for programs to pay for visas and also there is a lot of paperwork with it. Also, as it often happens, the visas sometimes get delayed and then the programs have trouble with the residents starting late etc... having a green card is a big advantage.
Oh see may be u can help me with this... I just got my visa via my husband, he applied for me (K3 Visa).. I am planning to move to US next yr in March sometime.. We are married for 2 yrs , now will i still get conditional green card when i go there or will i get the 10 yr green card.. Its really confusing ... Initially i thought that if u r married for 2 yrs u will straight get a 10 yr green card, but some people r saying that i will still get the conditonal green card .. Too confusing pls help..
see, I don' t know about that. Sorry. You will probably have to ask directly at the department of homeland security....

so are you going to be participating in the next MATCH? Do u have all the USMLE steps?

Let me know if you have other questions about the MACH or USMLE, I would be happy to help you.
Definitelly try to get some US Clinical Experience once you move to the US. At least 3 months - it helps a lot. Opens a lot of doors - because a lot of programs require USCE....
I have given step 1 didn't score good in that got 83 :-( Giving step 2 next mon.. Studying really hard for it.. I am really down because of my step 1 score i studied a lot for it may be not the right away thats why i ended up with this score... Hope this score doesn't interfer with residency.. I have heard that step 1 score is the most important one..
well I think both the scores - step1 and step 2 are equally important. They always have them there, side by side, and look at them both. so if you do well on step 2, you should be ok.

I know scores under 80 are a NO-GO. Nobody gets invited to any interviews with scores under 80. And even if they do get 1 or 2 IVs, they don' t match - so they just waste their money traveling to the interviews and paying all the match fees for nothing.

83 should be enough if you apply to FM, IM, Psych.... what do u want to apply for?
And also, do your homework and read all the programs requirements on their web sites. And don' t waste your money applying to programs where you don' t mee the minimum requirements. And apply to at least 1oo different programs....
I am looking for OBG... Can i get that or is it v difficult?
oh, I don' t know much about OBG. Just make sure to apply to some FM programs too - just for a backup. You know you can always cancell the IVs if you get too many.... but let me tell you... people with scores in lower 80s should apply to a lot of backup programs... unfortunately.

I think the best for you would be to go thru the old threads in this forum - there is an OBGYN thread I think. And just read about how many interviews and where people got with similar scores to your.

What are you using for your step2?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »