Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme form 4 - benu

5.  Three days after undergoing colectomy for colon cancer, a 77-year-old woman has the sudden onset of severe shortness of breath. She says she cannot catch her breath. Current medications include subcutaneous heparin and patient-controlled morphine. Her temperature is 37°C (98.6°F), pulse is 140/min, respirations are 28/min, and blood pressure is 110/60 mm Hg. Pulse oximetry on room air shows an oxygen saturation of 89%. Breath sounds are decreased on the right. Abdominal examination shows an intact surgical incision with no erythema or discharge. Arterial blood gas analysis shows:

pH
Pco2
23 mm Hg
Po2
55 mm Hg

A chest x-ray shows atelectasis at both lung bases. An ECG shows nonspecific ST-T wave changes. In addition to oxygen therapy, which of the following is the most appropriate next step in management?

A Spiral CT scan of the chest

B Oral warfarin therapy

C Intravenous administration of a recombinant tissue plasminogen activator

D Pulmonary angiography

E Placement of a vena cava filter

A..........Spiral CT scan of the chest
Thanks for the reply, musaddiq, i did some reading meanwhile, and i concluded that the correct answer could be rTPA, in the setting of pulmonary embolism, if there are ecg changes s/o ventricular dysfunction, it is a known indication for tpa therapy. any comments?
i hate that nbme does not giv the correct answers - and i dont trust the answer keys avilable on internet.
hi..
ans is A..go for spiral ct of chest...& then LMWH......

nup...u cant give rTPA in this case.....as he underwent major surgery just 3 days ago.....!!!
Thanks!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »