Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All 'soon to become resident' moms !!!!!!! - ruaha_r
Hi 'would be resident' moms,
I'll apply for next year's match, not yet done with the steps. My husband will also apply next year. Just preparing for all eventualities, because we've got a 5 months old baby now! We can both go unmatched, or one of us can get a match, or both of us can match in the same place (if we are extremely lucky)- and these are manageable situations for us as far as the baby is concerned. My worst nightmare is, if we match in different places, particularly in different states far apart, who is going to look after my baby? Two things- first we don't have any family help and no acquaintances in USA either! And we can not wait for another year before we go for the match! Also we are IMGs with visa needs; can't afford to restrict our applications geographically! Anyone has any word of advice for me? Sorry to bother you guys with my personal problems at this tensed moment, but this forum has always helped me in need! I wish everybody the very best for the interview season and the match!
Ruaha
Things always work out for the best and in your case it will. Just focus on the steps for now and work very hard to get the best possible score in that way you will be more able to choose where you wnt to be. I wish you all the best. Look at it this way - by the time you are an intern, your 5 month old will be ready for preschool and that alone frees you up a bit. GL.
I am not a "soon to become mom resident" b'coz I can't. But still I have few suggestion for you.

Concentrate on your steps is the first issue for both of you. Try to get anything around 95% in each step. You have whole year ahead to do that. It is doable.

Try to apply for those program which offer "Couple Match". You both might end up matching in the same program. What else you can ask?

If you do not get matched in the same program and you guys don't want to stay apart in US then avoiding residency for a year of so for you (b'coz you are a mom!!!) will not be a bad idea!!!! let your husband finish one year in residency. He will be little bit free in his second year and then he can also push you in the same program!!! Think about this.

GL
by the way "I can't" in first line means I am a male Smile
Mom, Congrats!!
Your baby is the most precious little one but then you must enjoy your time with her when she is asleep at night. I do not know your financial situation, but if you can just allow to stretch yourself a bit, just make sure that your little one is in a daycare so that it frees up your time to prepare for the exams. Believe me, it will not be easy for you to prepare when you baby is at home with you (even if someone else is taking care). Infant care is costly, but then so are your steps.. and they will be with you for 7 yrs. So, first, plan a good timeline.

It is going to be pretty tough on you from this point on. The sooner you start the better, and the earlier you take care of your steps the better. I am sure you would have started, but assuming that you have not yet initiated the process, I would say that if you were to take your Step 1 in mid April, and book for CS so that thats taken care of by end July and CK is also around that time (early / mid August) - in other words, simultaneous preparation for CS and CK - then by the time you apply in Sept 1 or within Oct 2nd week you will get ECFMG certification. Anything later than that can be inversely related to the chances of getting interview calls. So, this is why you need a childcare system; and ofcourse, as a doc you know that you need to be prepared for all those teething problems and associated issues common in the first year of a child's life. And added to that, do you have an externship or at least an observership so that you will have some US LORs. Just look at the forum, and you will understand that these will also be very important part of your CV... without USCE all of these things go for naught. Finally - and other may perhaps disagree - but unless you are super confident, a couple match in the NRMP application or CAF is not the best idea. You may want to do it alone, but talk about it during the interview. That tends to be more favorable.

Sorry, there is more that I could say, but at the moment, my 18 mth 10 toothie wonder is calling the shots, and I must go.

Best wishes.
I am under the impression after my iv that they do not want moms with little babies, they are affraid if u can put all ur afford into work and wont have too many paternity leaves.
APPLY FOR COUPLE MATCH
Good luck
May God bless u & u'r family
Thanks to all of you. Just to clear things up a little bit:
1) I am done with step-1 (234/98) and step-2 CK (251/99). Going for CS in Feb 2010.
2) My husband has done step-1 (241/99), going for step-2 CK soon. He will appear for CS in Feb 2010 too (second attempt). Will be applying for very competitive specialty!!!
3) Luckily enough, we don't have any financial restrains! Only oasis amidst a desert of problems!!
4)Couples match is not an option, because he will apply through SFMatch. And couples match between NRMP and SFMatch isn't permissible (as far as I know). He will also apply in NRMP in a less competitive specialty as second option (and for PGY-1), because chances of going unmatched in his dream specialty is very high!! But he is very adamant to ''try his luck'' in his specialty at least once!!
5) We have absolutely no USA experience. However we are in UK, I've done my MRCP and got UK experience and my husband is MRCS+FRCS in his specialty, with UK experience of course!!
6)We've got very strong UK LORs.
7)Very little research experience for both of us. We've started working on it though!
I wrote all these things because there might be just another one like me in my shoes, and his/her suggestions might prove invaluable to us!
I wish everybody the absolute very best for the match. Good luck
Btw, is your husband applying for either Neuro or Orthopedic Surgery programs as his dream specialty?
No, but it's nearly as competitive! And he has already spent a few years in it!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »