Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old IMG and chances of getting residency - chaudhrei
Hi there,
I wonder if someone could give me information of getting residency of and 1990 IMG (no career break practicing surgeon after registration and training since graduation). I intend to come to US for chances of furthering the skills (obviously after completing USMLE)
Thanks
Chaudhrei
If you were 5 years old graduate maybe we would have argued about it, but 20 years!! If you want my advice, it is not worth to do residency again, try to get a fellowship if you have contacts in the states. Also if you speak french you can go to france and get fellowship plus job easier there without any steps, but I dont know the route for that.
Nothing is impossible but u have to finish USMLE as soon as possible...
Surgery is tough to get into I think you need:
1. contact
2. FRCS
3. 99 SCORES First attempt

last question why do u think to come to US u can get experience anywhere in Europe if that is ur wish..

The only reason would be that u have US green card citizenship or u are married to someone who lives in the states!

Goodl luck..
OK My dear Surgeon....
Tell me why u want to come to the USA
I have tons of info to give you....but all that will be useless unless I know the answer to this question.
nothing is impossible. u will not get in surgery deffinitely, but in family medicine it is possible-pass USMLE all steps within 1 yr and it is very important that CONTACTS, if u know someone powerful in programe, it is possible.
Reason for coming to USA, well obviosly I am stuck in the middle of career, have done FRCS with residency in surgery, currently working in UK. Cant get to consultant post and cant go back to war torn country, dont want to stagnate hence USA because fellowship or residency will open close gate of breaking career block.
Any one with my work history is in same boat in UK, France seems interesting if any one has info.
you will have fair chance in getting in
with right scores and right contacts
worth trying
UK experience will help
I know UK consultant doing surgical PGY-1 residency in US.
War torn country equals passport to USA (refugee status)
U r gud to go!
Chudhurei...
I agree with stagnation being a reason for change.
Now what is the change that you seek is the question.
I dont think you should look at improving your surgical skills at this stage, as a reason for change.
This should be a time to relax and enjoy whatever you have invested already in Medicine.
If you have that mindset than US is a definite alternative.

I did my Surgery residency 18 years back. Graduated 21 years back. I came to US to retire. Got into residency. And have been enjoying my time here.
It was not the change for better or worse that I wanted ..It was just " change".

It is almost impossible to get into Surgery categorical and I dont think it is worthwhile to do 5 years of drudgery to get to where you are now already. I mean, after 5 years you will still be a general surgeon doing abccesses and hernias...
If you want to do more ..you will have to do fellowships...Question is ..will you be able to afford the time.

I know that there are some urology, colorectal and minimally invasive surgeries available as pre-residency programs. You need to be ECFMG certified though. More info is available at NRMP fellowship site.

You may not be allowed to practice in the US after these fellowships. But you may be employed by your parent institution in rare circumstances.

If you want only a change though..It will be easy to get into FM with a good score.
But many people do not like the idea of a surgeon going into FM...EGO..waste of talent...blah blah blah..

I hope i stir up a healthy discussion with these statements here !!!
i think if go to australia and nz ,life will be cool.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »