Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OB/GYN experience - rosey776

Kind hearted angeles,

Who have a experience with OB/Gyn Interview? matched as a resident or as a OB/Gyn doctor?

Could you kindly share your experience with me? I heard a lot about how hard being matched as a resident or being a doctor of OB/Gyn. I like your first hand story.
Please helps.

I am so hesitated to apply a resident of OB/Gyn altthough I was an attending of OB/Gyn in my country.
Everybody is silence. Nowadays it is really too hard to match for OB/Gyn.
Advices: We may change our major to something else.
Lets wait for march 15. If I match in OBGYN, i'll let you know if it's easy or not. UNtil now I have seen that with IMGs thinking that Internal med, FM, Peds and psych are easier to get into so competition has become worse in those fields. Internal med programs get 3000+ applications while obgyn programs get around 250-350 applications per year decreasing the competition. But then it's just what I think. I had ZERO clinical obgyn experience and applied in 10 programs. Got 3 interviews!!!
Though I had US research experience in obgyn(just a few months with no publications)
I would be in a better position to answer your question after the match. My top choice is still IM because well I like it better...
Refer to tata_unlucky's thread on OBGYN Interview/Rejections to get an idea about the number and type of interviews in OBGYN for FMG's. Try to match according to credentials to get an idea about competetiveness. In OBGYN, for FMG 1 IV per 10 applications would be very good. Most FMG's have 4-10 IV's in OBGYN.
OBGYN is very competitive irrespective of the number of interviews one has. Even if you get the interviews as an FMG it is difficult to match. Most FMGs match is innner city hospitals or small community hospitals. If you do apply to OBGYN be sure to have a back up specialty as well such as IM,FM Peds ...
Thanks so much for your reply!
Best wishes for shigella's, vickey's and obresident99's match!!! Best of Luck!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »