Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would someone give me some advice on the preparati -
James - jamesji1999

I am from Beijing China (mainland),and want to take part in the usmle,i really need your advice,and i will be appreciated ur kindnessSmile
moni - moni7

moni7
moni - moni7

moni7
Dmytry - obolonsky@SoftHome.net

Hi there!
I want to share with you some rules:
Here they are:
1.Be ready work hard for the next few years.
2.Never stop on a half-way.
3.Plan your day.
4.Read every day no matter what. I am not talking about days when you got sick.
Be sick and read at this same time is not a good idea.
5.Read at least 5 days a week. Some are prefer 6 days schedule( including myself ).
6.Spend up to 6-7 hours a day for study.
7.As soon as you done with all the reading, start answering questions. I did 100-150 questions every day, and up to 200 questions a day last month before exam. The more you practice now, the easier it will be on exam. Reading is an endless story. You should do questions as many as possible.
8.Sometimes, you will have days, when nothing is able to deposited in your head. In case like this, put all books away and go out, refresh your mind.
9.?Gold rule?-stop read at least 2 days before exam. It is very important to have ?fresh head? and do not be tired when you sit exam. If you are planning to read until the last minute, believe me, it won?t help. All you will remember is information you have been reading last days.
10.Exam, what you should know:
-usually exam starts at 7:30 am, so, make sure you are not late.
-do not forget your ID (you won?t be let in without it )
-as you know, step 1 is 8 hours length and step 2 ?9 hours. Your brain will work in extreme regime. Remember about good supply for yourself. You should bring with you meal which is glucose rich. Juices is better that just a water. You will need a lot of calories.
-manage your time at exam.
-have at least 2 big breaks 15 minutes each to be able to eat and visit rest room and few small ones for relaxation. Let me tell you how I managed my time at exam. Step 1: I did first 3 blocks, had big break for lunch, I went back to exam room and answered 2 more blocks, I had another big break for snack, answered 1 more block and took last break before 7-th block. I did not leave room before last block, just sit in front of computer with closed eyes. It is how I managed my time on Step 2: answered first 3 blocks, got a break for 15 minutes ( lunch + rest room), another 2 blocks, break 15 minutes, 2 more blocks, break ,and last 8-th block.
-for those who have bad vision ( ! ). If you wearing glasses, have with you artificial tears (available in pharmacy ).Computer?s monitor and bad vision are incompatible.
-to not go wrong, make a notes for yourself on a sheet (you will have one during the exam), on what block you are presently. For example, when you opened 1-st block, make a note about it.
-never go back to the questions. It is always a mistake possibility when you go back. Answer the question and go forward. Never come back ( ! ).
-This is very important to remember : wear warm clothes (!).If you taking exam June-August period, it is a possibility that inside the testing room will be freezing temperature (air-conditioners).I think, you will agree with me that when you freezing up, your brain can not work properly.
-have some pain killers with you. Migraine in the middle of exam is bad sign. You even can take 1-2 tables( depends from medication) before exam.
-do not tremble as a leaf. Sit exam and be sure that you know and you will pass.
-on your permit (orange color paper) you will see your ?personal number? which you will use to open each block and once again at the end of exam. Do not get worry when see that computer asking you to enter this number once again after you closed last block.
Before click on ?enter? and start block, make sure there is no mistakes in this number. Type your number, check it one more time and only after you make sure there is no mistakes, click on ?enter?.
-after last block you will have 15 questions where center stuff asking you how center work was organized, etc. It will take no more than 5-6 minutes to be done with them.
11.After exam have 1-2 weeks for rest before switch
sherif - sherifhanfy

thanks dmytry
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »